Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New lathe came, built the stand and set it up and turned out the first project!

The stand is made of old growth douglas fir and I'm tellin ya that a cast iron stand weighs less than that thing:yes:.

The fruit bowl and fruits were made for our Christian school auction and sold on Saturday. The bowl is walnut, the apples are redcedar, cherry and pear. The pears are black locust

Attachments

·
7,222 Posts
Well done with the stand and the fruit turnings. :thumbsup:

You were fast to get the stand made.

I do not know if I mentioned before, but I would write on a piece of tape a clockwise arrow and place this on the index knob. If you turn the index knob anti-clockwise, it will eventually loosen the weak lock washer underneath and then the knob will become loose, and eventually the nut could fall off. Mine came loose, but did not come off. I then used the tape to remind me.

I also wrote on a piece of tape with arrows to remind me which way to turn the handwheel to remove or tighten. This is needed if you have to get to that index nut for example. I know this was left threaded, but easier to read than have to figure out, especially with my aging brain.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Congratulations on the lathe.:thumbsup:
It is so clean that I thought you may have bought the fruit...but lo and behold..chips on the floor.:yes:

Reactions: Nate Bos

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Nice!
Both the setup and the work!:yes:

Reactions: Nate Bos

·
Yea i got wood
3,016 Posts
why don't you share with us (ME) how you made those fruit look so good and how you finished the ends to look like that
also what finish did you use

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys, will do Dave. Robert, its kind of hard to explain in words but I have to make a few more so I'll take some pics hopefully this Saturday.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts