Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good afternoon. After many years (1972) of use I am going to buy a new lathe. Do you know if Delta still manufactures a full size, variable speed lathe? All I can find is the counter-top "midi" lathe and I was looking for something with a little more power and heft in the stand. Most of the work I do is segmented turning of bowls so I don't need an especially long bed, but would like to do outside turning. I just can't justify $4,000 for the Powermatic but was wondering if anyone had suggestions? Thanks for any opinions.

Bandman

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Delta doesn't make a larger lathe. I would look at the Jet 1642 or the Nova 16/24. Both are great lathes for considerably less money than the Powermatic.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Delta doesn't make a larger lathe. I would look at the Jet 1642 or the Nova 16/24. Both are great lathes for considerably less money than the Powermatic.
I have the Nova 1624-44 and it's was a GREAT buy/value for me! Changing speed is not a problem--but you can go to DVR-electronic speed control for more $. The lathe has handled all I've asked it to do.
Dave H

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the speedy replies guys. I am located in Omaha, NE so the PA one is out. Think I'll look into the Nova.

Thanks again,

Bandman

·
7,222 Posts
Woodcraft flyer for next month shows the NOVA DVR XP on sale.

Closest Woodcraft to you may be Kansas City, but may be worth the drive to save $500.

I have the 1624 DVR XP. If you run on 120V it is 1 3/4 HP. If you run on 240V it is 2HP. The controller auto-detects the input voltage so no internal wiring change.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts