Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy all. My name is Eric. I build custom billiard cues, as well as tinker around with rustic furnishings. I currently live in Alamogordo, NM. Am originally from south eastern Ohio, spent lots of time in Alaska. My wife is native Alaskan so that's probably where we'll end up at.

I have two bandsaws. One is a Lumber Smith & that is a cool little machine with outstanding customer support from the company. My other mill is a Linn model 1900 on an axle. I cut just about everything I can get my hands on but mostly I quarter saw hard maple for my billiard cues.

Here's some pics of my mills & what I use them for:

Linn

Lumber Smith

A couple of my recent cues

·
The village amadán.
789 Posts
Absolutely striking cues! I may need to get me a pair for our new table!

Welcome to the forum from Missouri!

Mac

·
Forgotten but not gone
5,677 Posts
Welcome Eric. Your cues are awesome. Maybe you could post a tutorial in the wood turning section (without giving away any trade secrets)?

I didn't know y'all had any hard maple growing in your parts. Are you trucking that stuff in? Look forward to more of your posts.

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
Beautiful cues, almost makes me want to take up pool again but I quit because I stink so I'll probably just stay away.

I've heard that cues are made on metal lathes, for precision, not wood lathes, is that true? how about posting one being made. We love pics.

As TT said, not asking for trade secrets, just the general technique.

Oh, and welcome to the forum.

Paul

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I didn't know y'all had any hard maple growing in your parts. Are you trucking that stuff in? Look forward to more of your posts.
We have some small variations of hard maple but they don't get very big. Often times burled & heavily figured, though. I cut most of my maple in Ohio on the family property. We have a section of virgin forest about 90 acres in the Appalachians. Awesome sugars in there.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Beautiful cues, almost makes me want to take up pool again but I quit because I stink so I'll probably just stay away.

I've heard that cues are made on metal lathes, for precision, not wood lathes, is that true? how about posting one being made. We love pics.

As TT said, not asking for trade secrets, just the general technique.

Oh, and welcome to the forum.

Paul
Yeah, we use metal lathes & specialty lathes. I have a wood lathe in my garage but haven't used it in years. I can post some pics of woods I use & different stages of construction. It's probably pretty boring for folks, though. It's not a lot of hand work but more setting up machines & jigs to make the cuts.

·
Banned
6,839 Posts
Nice cues. I know I seen on TV "How things are made" that cues take a long time because there turned in several steps over time (2 yrs I think) to insure the shafts stay straight. Does that apply to your cues or do you have a different process?

I'm actually in the market for a new cue, I have been using a Graphite cue since it lasted through Hurricane Katrina and my wood cue warped horribly bad but it's time for a new one. I was looking at Graphite again but I may want another wood cue. do you have a website for prices options etc.?

·
Registered
8 Posts
hello . . . !!!
i am also new here , and this is my first post in this forum . . . :D
love the stick . . . it is really beautiful :D
i am at the service to this community and serve my best . . . !!!
hope i will find myself comfortable here . . . !!!
have a nice day all and KEEP SMILING . . . :D

·
Registered
4,702 Posts
I can post some pics of woods I use & different stages of construction. It's probably pretty boring for folks, though. .
You would be surprised, we love step by steps. Some of the best threads here are how-tos. (longbows,boats,shop jigs,log dissection, cutting boards,boxes...) Just because most of us would never do what we are seeing doesn't mean we don't still like to see it done. We are all wood nuts remember.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
You would be surprised, we love step by steps. Some of the best threads here are how-tos. (longbows,boats,shop jigs,log dissection, cutting boards,boxes...) Just because most of us would never do what we are seeing doesn't mean we don't still like to see it done. We are all wood nuts remember.

I second the motion...Would love to see a "how to" on such beautiful work.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Welcome from Texas !!!

Welcome to the forum.

Beutiful work on those Cue's.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Nice cues. I know I seen on TV "How things are made" that cues take a long time because there turned in several steps over time (2 yrs I think) to insure the shafts stay straight. Does that apply to your cues or do you have a different process?
Yes it takes that long to cut the wood to size. Once it's at about .050" oversize I begin doing all the splicing & joinery. It's slow but worth it. Lots of fun :)

Prices range from several hundred up to several thousand. I'm working on a fancy one now that's for a collection display & it's $5G's. Others that are simpler with no crazy materials or weird splicing go for a few hundred. Right now i'm back logged indefinitely. I'm pretty lucky with that. Folks don't seem to mind the wait. It's a small niche market but a very strong one.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
what brand lathe do you use to make your cue's?
I have several lathes. I use two lathes that are designed & built for the sole purpose of building cues, a Jet metal lathe, and a couple of homemade lathes I put together for particular tasks. I have one lathe for cutting, one for joinery facing, one for threading, one for finishing & sanding, and one for drilling. Each machine can be used for other misc tasks.

I also have a couple of band saws, tablesaw, planer, jointer, miter saw, belt/disc sander, dozen or so routers & tables, etc. It's a nicely equipped woodworking shop that rarely gets used for actual woodworking. Every tool & machine I have revolves around building cues. I also have two band saw sawmills. One is a small Lumber Smith portable that I can literally carry into the woods & mill a log where the tree falls, and a larger Linn mill that is on an axle that I use for quarter sawing & milling large diameter logs. I'm in the process of building a kiln now so I can dry the lumber I mill. The goal is to become completely self reliant as much as possible, with the exception of exotics.

·
Banned
1,530 Posts
Beautiful work. I played a Guy once in Florida for money he broke and proceeded to run the whole table in eight ball. I gave him $50 and he asked to play double or nothing. I said sure but I'm going to get a cocktail first would you like anything he said sure I will take a beer. The bartender handed me the drinks and then said hey buddy do you know who your playing I said no and he pointed to a poster on the wall of Steve mizerack. I went back to table and he handed me my $50 that now had his autograph on it. I laughed and we played for fun the rest of the night. Maybe if I had one of your custom cues I could have beat him LOL maybe not anyway beautiful work just brought that memory back and I had to share

·
Registered
806 Posts
Beautiful work. I played a Guy once in Florida for money he broke and proceeded to run the whole table in eight ball. I gave him $50 and he asked to play double or nothing. I said sure but I'm going to get a cocktail first would you like anything he said sure I will take a beer. The bartender handed me the drinks and then said hey buddy do you know who your playing I said no and he pointed to a poster on the wall of Steve mizerack. I went back to table and he handed me my $50 that now had his autograph on it. I laughed and we played for fun the rest of the night. Maybe if I had one of your custom cues I could have beat him LOL maybe not anyway beautiful work just brought that memory back and I had to share
qbilder great job on the cues, and what part of southeastern ohio, that is my neck of the woods.

MasterHand that was funny.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Awesome story!!! That would have been a lot of fun.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts