Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I watched a YouTube video of a miter gauge and I thought it was just what I needed. I found the materials on eBay and ordered a 1.5 x 3 T-Slot Aluminum Extrusion for about $11 plus shipping.

It just arrived today and at first I wasn’t too happy because it didn’t align up with my Craftsman miter gauge. It was a little high and as I was trying to figure out how to rise up the far side, I realized that the fence board would hold it up.

Anyway I don’t have a proper fence board that I can use right now so I just grabbed something out of my scrap pile. I really like the idea of having T-slots built in instead of having to buy them, plus this was cheaper that those T-slots anyway.

Below are photos but before anybody goes nuts on me with the clamps, its only temporary for the photo. When I buy a board, I will use the T-Slots to mount it.

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Miter Bar Slop

OK so now that I have a long fence on my Craftsman miter gauge, I discovered that there is a lot of slop in my miter bar. I have suspected it for years but didn’t see it until now.

I saw a post from Al B Thayer suggesting creating dimples and I will probably try that. But just out of curiosity where can I buy a real ¾” steel bar that I can drill and tap as a replacement?

My slot is exactly .750” and my bar is .737”. I bought a standard ¾” steel bar from Home Depot that was .740 and I found a short piece of ¾” that was actually .783, but I don’t know where it came from or if I could accurately remove .033.

And please don’t anyone suggest an Incra because I would rather jump in front of a truck before I spend my money on one of those. That is not my style and against all my DIY principles. :no:

·
where's my table saw?
27,898 Posts

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Bill, I guess I’ll have to call them to see if 3/4” is actually 0.75”

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Wow metalsdepot is way out of my price range and it looks like the only one that has Tolerances is the A-2 Flat Ground of +.005/-0 Width but at $46.58 for a 1/4 x 3/4 x 18" is out of the question.

The other types are as follows, but I have no idea if they are actually .75.
1/4 x 3/4 x 18" O-1 Flat Ground $34.15
1/4 X 3/4 x 24" Cold Finished $3.98

Now onlinemetals is in my price range at only $4.43 for 2ft and has a tolerance of 0.003", but I have to give them too much information for shipping charges so I’ll continue to look.

eBay looks ok but the shipping is high.

Well anyway looking for steel was an education and I guess now that I know a little about it, I’ll have to go around to some steel places to see if I can find something with out the shipping, but thanks anyway

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

You will have trouble moving an exactly 3/4" bar in an exactly 3/4" slot.

George
yes but at least I can sand it a little to gain some clearance as long as its not too big. I can't do much if its too small like the bar I bought from Home Depot. I may even drive over to Lowe's with my calipers to check the width of their flat bars. By the look of what I saw on the internet everybody has different tolerances and I might get lucky

·
John
3,028 Posts
Wow metalsdepot is way out of my price range and it looks like the only one that has Tolerances is the A-2 Flat Ground of +.005/-0 Width but at $46.58 for a 1/4 x 3/4 x 18" is out of the question.

The other types are as follows, but I have no idea if they are actually .75.
1/4 x 3/4 x 18" O-1 Flat Ground $34.15
1/4 X 3/4 x 24" Cold Finished $3.98

Now onlinemetals is in my price range at only $4.43 for 2ft and has a tolerance of 0.003", but I have to give them too much information for shipping charges so I’ll continue to look.

eBay looks ok but the shipping is high.

Well anyway looking for steel was an education and I guess now that I know a little about it, I’ll have to go around to some steel places to see if I can find something with out the shipping, but thanks anyway
Hi Johnny - you might try here
http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-steel-sheets/=olz196

Looks like 3/8" thick by 3/4" wide is about $2.75/ft with a tolerance of -.006, I assume +0.0 but you would need to call them to find out for sure. You would also need to call to get a shipping quote as they charge actual shipping at the time of shipment. Made me kinda nervous the first time I ordered because you don't know the full cost until after it's on the way and your card gets billed. The cost has always been reasonable, just some apprehension waiting on it.
That link is just for cold drawn, low carbon steel. They have all kinds including precision ground at about $15/ft. You may just want to browse around the McMaster website some. If somebody makes it, they likely can get it.

"And please don’t anyone suggest an Incra because I would rather jump in front of a truck before I spend my money on one of those. That is not my style and against all my DIY principles."

While I respect your position here, I have adopted it on many occasions myself. I also recall more than once that I have doggedly pursued something, expending much more time, energy and money, only to find that purchasing an item made for the purpose would have been much more cost effective and efficient.
Good Luck :smile:

Reactions: Sleeper

·
Registered
679 Posts
OK so now that I have a long fence on my
And please don’t anyone suggest an Incra because I would rather jump in front of a truck before I spend my money on one of those. That is not my style and against all my DIY principles. :no:
They are the best, so pick a big truck it will hurt less.

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Alright I’m thinking or just looking anyway at the INCRA V120 Miter Gauge and I’m not too impressed by the adjustable bar thickness and is the bar stamped metal? OMG I just don’t see it as being reliable as a solid piece of steel that can’t get out of adjustment.

The whole thing is stamped sheet metal and how can anyone trust that. I guess if it drops on the floor it will bend, twist or dent and be useless. I don’t think any amount of adjustment will solve that. Plus I’m suspicious of so many adjustments. It’s like they already know its going out of whack.

The only good thing I see is it does look like it will accept my new aluminum fence. :smile:

·
Registered
68 Posts
Why not drill a hole bout every 6" and tap them, buy some set screws. Then you can back the screws out a little until you have the absolute perfect fit. I did the same and covered the screw heads with some of that plastic slidey tapey stuff from woodcraft. Works fantastic.

Sent from my iPhone using Wood Forum

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Why not drill a hole bout every 6" and tap them, buy some set screws. Then you can back the screws out a little until you have the absolute perfect fit. I did the same and covered the screw heads with some of that plastic slidey tapey stuff from woodcraft. Works fantastic.

Sent from my iPhone using Wood Forum
Perfect! :thumbsup: That's exactly what I'm going to do. Thanks

·
where's my table saw?
27,898 Posts
use nylon set screws

Perfect! :thumbsup: That's exactly what I'm going to do. Thanks
metal screws will gouge the side of the slot.

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
metal screws will gouge the side of the slot.
I was thinking of nylon screws but it would have to be set screws because there isn’t much room for a head. I have seen nylon set screws and I just need to find some to buy.

I was thinking of gluing a plastic strap on to the side but it would not fit between the bar and the side. I have some tape that would fit but I’m afraid that it might come lose and jamb up.

So Bill, what do you think of the INCRA V120 Miter Gauge?

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I found these 10/24 nylon set screws on eBay that would be easy to install.

I also found 10-24x1/4" brass set screws that might be better, but I need to find someone that sells smaller quantities retail.

·
where's my table saw?
27,898 Posts
I like mine a lot

So Bill, what do you think of the INCRA V120 Miter Gauge?
I have the V27.
I have an extended fence, like you would use from Ebay, only mine is just wood. Yours would be more versatile. The positive indexing is worth every penny. I paid less than this somehow... I can't remember. Maybe on sale at Woodcraft?
http://www.woodcraft.com/product/2004787/7574/incra-miter-gauge-v27.aspx

I also have the super duty V1000 SE, but rarely use it.... :)< ( no real reason, just the V27 is handier and I like the wood fence with a visible saw kerf to judge where my cut will be.

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2004385/8063/INCRA-Miter-Gauge-1000SE.aspx

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well if the INCRA V120 ever goes on sale, I might just buy one. I just have to remember to keep my eyes open for it.

·
where's my table saw?
27,898 Posts

·
John
3,028 Posts
Well if the INCRA V120 ever goes on sale, I might just buy one. I just have to remember to keep my eyes open for it.
Hi Johnny - I picked up the V120 a few years ago. While it worked OK, I didn't care much for the way aluminum extension fence and stop I had fabricated worked so I picked up the 1000HD. Have really been happy with it although I had to watch it for nearly a year to find it under $100. The V120's typically go on sale around Thanksgiving every year and run through New Years.... Oh yeah, this is one of the instances I mentioned in my previous post.:laughing:

1 - 20 of 44 Posts