Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all.

I am new to the site, been reading it for a few months now, but am just now deciding to get involved. I have really enjoyed reading up on tool reviews, project threads, and all kinds of other random things. there are a lot of you who really know your stuff.

Anyway, I have $200 in Home Depot gift cards and can't decide what to buy. I have my eye on a PC compressor/brad nailer/nail gun/stapler combo that they have for $250, a couple of routers, a Kreg jig, and maybe a few other things. As I am pretty new to woodworking, I have a table saw, circular saw, drill and impact driver. I would like to build a crib from maple. Any suggestions? thanks all

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

If you are new to woodworking, I'd hold off on a nail gun unless carpentry is what you actually plan to do.

A crib should use joinery and glue and maybe screws, for example, not a nail gun.

·
Woodworking Wanderer
216 Posts
Welcome, from Southern California...

Compressors and nail guns, I'd buy later...when you know you need them...I'd watch craigslist for a while for those. Harbor Freight's small compressors are cheap brand new (there's a 3 gallon on sale for $50 most of the time) and work for light use quite well. Their nail guns, etc., are always going on/off sale (and 20% off anything coupons will rain if you sign up for email list) and are also pretty darn good for hobbyist use.

Blades and bits add up quickly, if I had "free" gift cards, I think that's where I'd go. And/or sanding/sharpening equipment to keep those you have in top shape. Everything you make needs to be sanded, it seems.

A disc and/or belt sander (there are neat/simple combo units out there..I see them on CL pretty regularly) is quite helpful as often as not.

I've had very good results with used tools (I see it on CL, look up reviews online to make sure it's "a good one"...and to check pricing, some people list things at prices equal to, or higher than "street prices")...not so much with used blades/bits/consumables. My gift cards almost always go toward those.

There are my .02...YMMV...no matter what, making sawdust is pretty much always fun.

James

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll keep that all in mind as I spend a lot more time deliberating what to buy. I have a palm sander that takes care of my needs currently, and I have a diablo 40t all purpose blade that is relatively new still so I think I am ok in that dept for now. I also want to make a reclaimed dining table in the near future, as I can't seem to find one that has the look I want and isn't $2500, so that's another project I want to plan for. I want to fasten at least part of the top with some large carriage bolts, so maybe an auger bit for the drill? Or a spade bit, which I have plenty of...
I never thought I would have so much trouble spending "free" money. Maybe I'll just get some round-up or something for the yard, as this decision is tormenting me so...

·
Registered
27 Posts
My suggestion would be a good blade for your saw, and the kreg jig. I bought mine quite some time ago and it has been absolutely invaluable. If you don't want to spend the $130+ on the master kit they have a kreg jr that's around 40 that's also very handy.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Welcome!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts