Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,

I just took delivery of a Steel City 13" helical head planer (40200H). After a fair bit of cleanup with xylen (and then letting it run for about 1/2 hour to let the rest of the inaccessable goo spin itself out), I ran a few short pieces of mahagony through it. People elsewhere described seeing faint (or otherwise perhaps) diagonal lines on the finished surface. I looked and looked under a bright light and could not see any hint of lines or any other evidence of the cutting process. It was smooth & shiney.

Also, I want to mention my experience with changing a couple of cutting blades. As I was cleaning, I noticed that two of the 26 blades had a hairline crack due to either dirt between the blade and the head or due to overtightening at the factory (as per the Steel City rep). They are sending me replacement blades (10 rather than 2, as they only come in packages of 10).

Anyway, I figured that it will be some time before novice me will be planing 13" boards so I decided that in the meantime I would take the good blades on either edge and swap them with the bad blades.

This was very easy & quick and I found that I did not have to align the blades in any way. Each blade lined up exactly as it had to as the attaching torx bolt was tightened.

The machine seems relatively quiet to me and the decibels do not leap up when I put wood through it. Perhaps akin to the increase in sound a lawn mover makes as it starts hitting high grass.

I have a question after all of that: Is there any type of lumber I should avoid putting in? I live near this place (ML Condons) where I can buy short scraps of all manner of hardwoods. Are any too hard for planers?

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
I don't think with a helical head planer you'll find any that are too hard. The cuttting action is much easier on the planer than a straight knife version. Sounds like Steel City took care of you too which is nice to hear.

·
OLD DUDE AT WORK
1,460 Posts
Sounds like a nice machine. Put any species you want through there.
Watch out for nails and wire if using found wood. Sometimes your machine will find them before you do.:eek:;)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts