Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
108 Posts
Nice work indeed, Mr. John! I am a long way from turning anything, but I hope to turn pieces out as well done as you have shown here. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
308 Posts
Where do you get the glass for the mirror side?

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I buy the glass in quantity from an wholesaler whose name escapes me at the moment. I think I have a link on my home computer where you can buy smaller quantities. I buy 100 at a time and I do sell them for $2.50 each + shipping. It doesn't cost much to ship them in small quantities. Mostly I sell them when I do demos. I'm not in the market of selling the glass, mostly the whole mirror. :)

·
Registered
308 Posts
Ok thanks just curious. I had considered using the glass from the cheap units you can buy at Wal Mart - but that stuff seems kind of thin... I do have a glass company here locally so will have to check them out.

I just might have to steal ... er ... borrow your idea and make a couple for gifts. :thumbsup:

Happy Turning,

Mike

·
Registered
517 Posts
Outstanding mirrors!

I bought 10 of 3” beveled edge mirrors from Packard Wood Works for about $2.50 each while back. Packard is a reseller of PSI stuff so can buy them there too! The more you buy cheaper they are, of course have different sizes too.

Hard to get mirrors as thin as John does without warping.

I used epoxy could not find liquid nail for mirrors called for in catalog around here. Ace Hardware here did not stock the product. So far, epoxy holding pretty good.

Liquid nails (LN930) must be used with a permanent mechanical support system, such as a shelf angle or "J" channel. Not sure if insert turned into wood for mirror considered a shelf or not.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I use clear silicone caulking to glue in the mirrors. Liquid nails won't work. I just replaced the glass in a mirror that was made in 2001. The caulking still held and didn't damage the mirror backing at all.
My mirrors aren't that thin. I start with 3/4" timber. Most of them end up about 5/8". Some are thinner but you have a weak handle joint if you do that.
The glass I use is thick and has a beveled edge. Very nice. The same glass sells for $5 or more in the turning catalogs. That's why I searched high and low to find the source I use. It is called Tripar Inc.
I've been making hand mirrors for a good 10 years or more. Actually now that I think about it I made the first ones around 1992 or 93 so it's definitely more than 10 years. I don't know how many I've made. Probably several hundred.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks I don't think I have any photos of the other side. Sometimes I do decorate the other side but most often it's this side that matters.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
On those I did use the Sorby tool. I also use a Dremel Engraver. I replace the pointy tip with a rounded over 1/8" nail. I sort of draw or scribble on the wood. It dents the wood and leaves a very interesting texture. That tool is under $20 where the Sorby is over $100

·
Registered
484 Posts
John
Thanks for posting these mirrors, I think they are awesome. Did you use a Sorby texturing tool on them two backs? I been wishing you would post something on how you decorate the backs of your mirors for some time now. I use a Sorby and a Wagner tool to do mine. Wondering if you use or know of any other tool that could be used for different finishes? I think the Rose machine is out of the question for me. Do you ever use a chatter tool on your mirrors?
Again John, those are beautiful pieces of work.. Mitch

1 - 20 of 20 Posts