Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's up everyone? I'm a new guy to wood working and to this forum. I'm from Dallas Texas

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Welcome and thanks for your service...

New to woodworking is exciting. Just a couple of suggestions I like sharing with new woodworkers.

Concentrate on building things for your shop like the workbench. You can always use storage cabinets and practice making drawers etc. Start with simple joints and work into the more complicated ones. A few workstations are great.

Don't throw out your cut offs - they are great for joinery practice.

Have fun and be safe!

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. I am planing a few projects for the shop and house. I've been trying to make a finger joint jig for my router table but having no luck. They keep turning out too loose or the jig cracks. Wanted to buy a rockler jig but my miter slot on my router table isn't 3/4. Once I make or buy a jig I plan to make a ton of boxes. I love the way finger joints look. I'll probably just do some rabbeting till then. I'll need to pick up a couple rabbeting bits in 3/4 and 1/2 thought. Thought about just using straight bits for it though

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Welcome Aboard

Attachments

·
Alan Sweet
163 Posts
Welcome aboard..

Pull up a chair and sit a spell..

BTW: My wife thinks I have followed Bernie's advice for last 20 years. She thinks I have every cut off I ever made. (But I know I threw some ply away a few years back)

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Alan Sweet said:
Pull up a chair and sit a spell..

BTW: My wife thinks I have followed Bernie's advice for last 20 years. She thinks I have every cut off I ever made. (But I know I threw some ply away a few years back)
Ive thrown away some of the small stuff but I'll start hanging on to it. Will probably be used at some point

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
Cutoffs produce great fire wood....a small 1 cu ft box of oak cut offs fuels a small fire for an hour or more in our backyard. With very little smoke I might add.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ryan50hrl said:
Cutoffs produce great fire wood....a small 1 cu ft box of oak cut offs fuels a small fire for an hour or more in our backyard. With very little smoke I might add.
Man that's a great idea. I do have a fire pit I haven't used in a year. Thanks for the idea

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Welcome from ~5 hrs south of ya!
Dave H

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
cuerodoc said:
Welcome from ~5 hrs south of ya!
Dave H
Not too far. Thanks for the welcome bro. Definitely let me know of any conventions or anything you hear about. I'd really like to go to some and try to learn some stuff or pick up new tools

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
rayking49 said:
Welcome from MS.
Thanks bro! I actually go to Gulfport about once a year when we go visit my inlaws in slidel La.
What type of wood and prices does the HD and lowes carry down there? Might take my truck next time and bring some back if I can get something other than syp for a good deal

·
Making sawdust in MS
4,000 Posts
The Lowes here in my town carries like red oak, pine, and poplar. The prices are nothing to really brag about though.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts