Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. Just wanted to introduce myself real quick. I'm trey. Currently living on the central coast of California, on Vandenberg AFB. I pretty much have zero woodworking experience. I've done a lot of metal working, and have decided that it is time for something different. So now it's time to accumulate tools. I'm going to start with a table saw, and go from there.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Welcome Aboard
I was once doing metal now using real wood Navy :yes::yes:

An its fun to :laughing::laughing::laughing: an you can learn a lot here

Attachments

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Welcome to the best forum. Table saw is a good start and for most of us, it's the workhorse of our shops. As for other tools, don't buy them until you need them and try to buy good quality. Good used tools are good and saves you money.

As for projects... try building a few things for the workshop - simple workbench - tool boxes etc. These projects will be good practice and you will have useable items even if they're not perfect. You''l learn. One last thing - don't throw away your cut-offs because they can be used to learn joinery... good luck and welcome!

·
Registered
464 Posts
BernieL said:
Welcome to the best forum. Table saw is a good start and for most of us, it's the workhorse of our shops. As for other tools, don't buy them until you need them and try to buy good quality. Good used tools are good and saves you money.

As for projects... try building a few things for the workshop - simple workbench - tool boxes etc. These projects will be good practice and you will have useable items even if they're not perfect. You''l learn. One last thing - don't throw away your cut-offs because they can be used to learn joinery... good luck and welcome!
+1 good advice. My next tool was a router and was able to make a some good projects. My wife bought be the tools for Christmas and my birthday along with a book of projects that only needed the two tools. Welcome to the forum.

·
Banned
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone. I found a used table saw for a reasonable price, so I bought it. I haven't done anything with it yet. There isn't a single piece of lumber in my garage. But I will fix that this weekend. Looking forward to it!

·
Registered
611 Posts
BernieL said:

Great advice, right there.

Welcome.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Also, give some consideration to safety. Things like sawdust control, eye and ear protection, suitable lighting, and some proper push blocks and sticks for that table saw.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts