Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, a little about me...

For the most part I'm new to woodworking although I have built odds and ends from time to time. Woodworking has always been something I wanted to get into but I never got off the fence other than owning a few basic tools that most anyone that is handy around the house owns like a jig saw, compound sliding miter saw, and a few others. Often I would look at a piece of furniture or small wooden things and think to my self "I could make that".

I recently "inherited" some machinery from my father along with several books and am excited about setting up a small shop in my basement. Some of my new machines and toys include a craftsman band saw, craftsman scroll saw, RBI scroll saw, huge craftsman 220volt table saw, craftsman belt/disc sander combo, craftsman air compressor, craftsman fixed base router mounted under a table, craftsman plunge router, Ryobi biscuit joiner, craftsman 10" band saw, about 30 clamps of various sizes, forstner bit set, various sanders, and several truck loads of various lumber.

My father used the tools for dual purpose of construction from time to time and cutting patterns for crafts that my mother assembled and/or finished.

I am interested in making anything from furniture to small crafts like toys and puzzle boxes and just about anything in between. My professional background lies mostly in industrial maintenance and machining, and web design as a past time...so there are many questions I have and a great deal I want and need to learn like how to identify different types of wood by looking at them for example. Over the past six months or so I have poured over youtube, books and magazines learning, getting ideas, and finding inspiration. I decided to join this forum to learn more and eventually share the things I make.

As my basement shop slowly takes shape I hope to share its progress and learn from pros. In the near future I hope to purchase a jointer, planer, larger band saw, and better stationary sanding machines. I also hope to build some of the amazing jigs I have seen in books and videos.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Welcome Aboard

Attachments

Reactions: JohnnyG73
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.