Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, my name is Ben. I am 29 and own a home in Fridley, MN with my wife. I am very new to wood working.

I built a table for board gaming at a friends house about a month ago. The table we built is far to big lol. I want to sell this one and build a new one. I would also like to build a computer desk, head and foot board for our bed, ect. I will also be doing some home remodeling in the years to come. With all that being said I am trying to make the choice of starting to buy my own tools or join a place called the Hack Factory, its about a 25 min drive from my home. I do have a lot of hand tool type things, mostly like auto tools and what not. The fee to join the Hack Factory is $55 a month, and I can go there 24/7 They have all sorts of tools. But space for keeping projects there is very limited. I went on a tour there yesterday, very interesting place.

When I built the first table I used a router a table saw and a miter saw. This morning I was just looking on craigslist and found this, Sears 10 inch table saw Looks kinda like the one I used at my friends house. It looks like the router part is missing a piece, not sure. But I am wondering if I should just start buying my own stuff. So that way it is at home and easier for me to use. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

·
Trytore Member
2,763 Posts
That's a cool place! IMHO you could benefit from a place like that where you could ask questions of those with more experience. You would have access to a wider range of tools and machinery and benefit from the community. Were I in your shoes I would join the Hack Factory for a while and build my own shop as I can. Then go on your own when ready.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I am from Mound MN. When I retired a few years ago, I was somewhat in your shoes for tools and info. I went the Sears Craftsman route and about a year later regretted that I did. After you pick up a little experience there is nothing more frustrating than trying to build quality projects and have to fight with inferior and inaccurate tools.

If you want,seeing that we are close to each other I would be happy to talk with you to get you started on getting a shop going.

·
Registered
12,608 Posts
Hi there, my name is Ben. I am 29 and own a home in Fridley, MN with my wife. I am very new to wood working.

I built a table for board gaming at a friends house about a month ago. The table we built is far to big lol. I want to sell this one and build a new one. I would also like to build a computer desk, head and foot board for our bed, ect. I will also be doing some home remodeling in the years to come. With all that being said I am trying to make the choice of starting to buy my own tools or join a place called the Hack Factory, its about a 25 min drive from my home. I do have a lot of hand tool type things, mostly like auto tools and what not. The fee to join the Hack Factory is $55 a month, and I can go there 24/7 They have all sorts of tools. But space for keeping projects there is very limited. I went on a tour there yesterday, very interesting place.

When I built the first table I used a router a table saw and a miter saw. This morning I was just looking on craigslist and found this, Sears 10 inch table saw Looks kinda like the one I used at my friends house. It looks like the router part is missing a piece, not sure. But I am wondering if I should just start buying my own stuff. So that way it is at home and easier for me to use. Anyone have any thoughts on this?
I think that you would find that an excellent saw for what you need. It does have an upgraded fence.

Not sure about the router part. I imagine that was added later. My 30 year old Craftsman saw looks about like that one. Ihave never had the first qualm about its accuracy. I find it just as accurate as the user makes it.

I would start building my own tool collection. That does not mean that you would not occasionally make the 25 minute drive just for the learning aspect. You could have the best of both worlds there.

Good luck.

George

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I like the point that Shop Dad makes, I really do, but as lame as it sounds I feel like it being that far away I wouldn't use it as much I would if I had stuff in my garage. plus there is no space to leave a project there, So I would have to do all my cuts there and than take it all home to build it with something like a table.

Jim I would LOVE to talk about it face to face. time and place!?!?

George makes a good point too. There is no joiners fee so I could join for a month here and there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts