Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, my name is Tom and I just found this forum. I have been a woodworker for nearly 40 years (starting as a teen). I loved woodworking so much that I became a high school woodworking and drafting teacher. I have been teaching for 29 years and only have a few more before I can retire. I have done all sorts of woodworking from building houses/garages/other structures, to custom furniture, custom lathe turning and custom cabinets.

Besides teaching I also do custom cabinetry in the shop that I built behind the house. My favorite type of woodworking is furniture, Arts and Crafts style most notably.

Although new to this forum, I'm not new to forums in general, as I am a member of several other forums most are Corvette related.

I look forward to learning new things here and hopefully letting some of my experience and knowledge out to some who are less experienced.

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
hopefully letting some of my experience and knowledge out to some who are less experienced.
Hello Tom, glad to have you. Hey a woodworking teacher, cool, I wish I would have paid more attention to mine 25 years ago :laughing:. It's funny some people are drawn to this at an early age (like high school), I myself was not. Now I kinda envy the chance some of these youths have to start honing their skills early. The internet is a powerful learning tool too that was not around in our youth.

Corvette guy eh, we talk cars here too (and food, whatever really). We like pictures, woodworking projects/tools/cars...

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
Steve you are one of lucky younger members I was talking about, you are 15 right? And already making nice stuff, when you get old like me (40:laughing:) you should have this mastered...I am still learning, you got about a 20 year head start :thumbsup:.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Welcome aboard Tom. Good to see you here with the background you have you should find these forums interesting. My background is pretty much as yours except the teaching bit. Been retired for 13 years and just recently started to devote my time to turning. Hope to see some pictures of some of your work in your gallery. Check our gallery's out to if you would. Mitch

·
Registered
754 Posts
Great to have you here Tom. Welcome

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Welcome aboard Tom. Good to see you here with the background you have you should find these forums interesting. My background is pretty much as yours except the teaching bit. Been retired for 13 years and just recently started to devote my time to turning. Hope to see some pictures of some of your work in your gallery. Check our gallery's out to if you would. Mitch

I up-loaded a few pictures last night. Kind of a short representation of the work I do. BTW, thanks for the warm welcome.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Welcome Tom.
Well from the looks and sound of it we could also learn from your experiences.
Nice work in your pics.
What part of Kansas are you in?
I was born on Lawrence and I have kin in Desoto.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Welcome Tom.
Well from the looks and sound of it we could also learn from your experiences.
Nice work in your pics.
What part of Kansas are you in?
I was born on Lawrence and I have kin in Desoto.
I live in the opposite end of the state, down in the southwest corner. I have two daughters that live on the KC area, which we go to see on a fairly regular basis.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts