Woodworking Talk banner

New guy from Texas

2K views 20 replies 9 participants last post by  Dominick 
#1 ·
I'm from the DFW Texas area, and I'm new here, and relatively new to woodworking. I'm slightly more experienced at general carpentry.

I'm building myself a cabin in the woods of Oklahoma, and I'm starting to make some furniture to go inside. So far I made a set of bunk beds for my son, and I am starting on a queen size bookshelf headboard for my room. I hope to build a dresser to go underneath as well.

Her's a few pictures of the cabin. I have many more if anyone wants to see them...

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
The beds I've done so far have just been from dimensional lumber. My wife and looked at some log furniture last week made from cedar. I have quite a bit of cedar on the land, so I've been thinking about harvesting some and giving it a try.

#7 ·
My building background started in Decks and went to New Homes. But my mainstay is Architecture.
I appreciate a simple clean look. Nice work.

(the pier foundation would never pass code here in the "great white north", even though there was a time when it was legal, and my own home was originally on cedar posts.)

#8 ·
aardvark said:
My building background started in Decks and went to New Homes. But my mainstay is Architecture.
I appreciate a simple clean look. Nice work.

(the pier foundation would never pass code here in the "great white north", even though there was a time when it was legal, and my own home was originally on cedar posts.)
Thanks. I designed the place myself, and my wife and I have done everything but install the septic tank ourselves. We're in an unincorporated area, so there have been no permits needed and no inspections done. I'm an engineer for a small city, so I have access to code books and have tried to follow them as best we could.

#19 ·
KRM45 said:
I'd like to see some of your log furniture. I have a lot of timber on my place, and a lot of cedar that I've thought about trying to use.
Hey how are things going. Good to see you back. I don't have an album here to look at but, make a lot of tables & benches
Just a quick one.

Bench Furniture Table Tree Wood

Walnut slab bench with bow tie inlays.

Table Furniture Outdoor table Wood Tree

Matching cherry slab bedside tables, also
With bow tie inlays.

I have a bunch others. To much to list.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.