Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw arrived yesterday. Have only had time to unpack and dig out manual. This forum has been helpful in my decision to purchase the 1023.Thanks. A little background information. I am a novice. Upgraded from a 20 year old Craftsman 1 1/2 HP saw. Love woodworking, but have plenty of other distractions including metal fab, landscaping, and golf. Therefore, woodworking equipment may go unused for perhaps 6 months. For this reason struggled for over a year on upgrading my table saw. No shortage of woodworking projects at this time. Only need to find time. My first questions to the group pertain to rust prevention on my new table saw. I' sure there will be others as I put the saw together and start making sawdust with it. What rust preventative should I use on the saw? On my metal working equipment I use way oil and still struggle in the battle against rust. During extended periods during winter, my shop is unheated. Should I also use a wax( and if so, what kind) on the table and extensions surface? Thanks.
Ray

·
7,222 Posts
Options for protecting the cast surfaces, no specific order :
a) WD-40. Works but needs more frequent applications than e.g., wax.
b) Wax, Johnsons Paste Wax, Rennaisance Wax (more expensive), any wax which does not contain silicone.
c) Boeshield T-9
http://www.woodcraft.com/product/2000984/207/t9-rust-protectant-12-ounce-spray.aspx
d) In a recent post on the same topic, someone mentioned a new product "Never Wet". Looks interesting. I have not tried this.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Rust-Ole...CiP-cTxfA?&cm_mmc=SEM|G|STO|DSK|D24|Rustoleum

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
I like to use a light coat of Boeshield T-9 rust preventer....buffed and dried. Then I top coat that with a coat of paste wax. Even with that protection, you'd be wise to put a sheet, table cloth, towel, or blanket over the cast iron surface if it'll go unused for months on end.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
I like to use a light coat of Boeshield T-9 rust preventer....buffed and dried. Then I top coat that with a coat of paste wax. Even with that protection, you'd be wise to put a sheet, table cloth, towel, or blanket over the cast iron surface if it'll go unused for months on end.
+1 and then some. covering a wax protected CI surface almost eliminates rust formation.

Reactions: havnfun
1 - 6 of 6 Posts