Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a new Grizzly G0513 Anniversary Edition 17" Bandsaw. I noticed while assembling that there is a visible bow to the cast iron table. I emailed pictures to Grizzly and their response was that it will not effect any cut.

Being a novice, I'm hoping that somebody with some experience can either confirm or deny that claim so that I know whether to drop the issue or escalate it with the CS.

The bow is right along the "Split" in the table and drops a little shy of an 1/8" at it's worst. The miter track still basically aligns and the miter gauge still slides down the track. The table is flat on the opposite side of the split.

It's hard to tell from the pictures, but maybe they'll help...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
There's a chance the square you are using is not perfectly flat. Try using something more precise like an engineered straight edge to make your point with grizzly

·
Registered
679 Posts
Of course they are going to try to convince you its OK so they don't have to give you a new table. I would keep complaining loud and clear until you get one. I think the problem is they are mass producing the tables too fast. All my cast iron tools are 20 plus years old and dead flat. Good Luck!

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
You're the best person to confirm or deny that the table affects the cut. Make some test cuts and check the cuts. It's very likeley that there's not enough deviation to bother with. If the cuts end up affecting your joinery, show pics of the saw and the joinery to Grizzly and let them correct it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all for your help and input. The primary purpose for this saw (at least as I currently see it) is for resawing. In that sense, will a dip on one side of the table telegraph onto the board? I would think that especially on taller lumber, this could be substantial. I'm asking because I've never done this and I honestly don't know how finicky I need to be for that. Does a re-sawn board generally need to go through a jointer wide enough for the entire face? Or can it go to the planer next if the saw is right and the cut is good?

·
where's my table saw?
28,742 Posts
It ain't right, no matter...

Never mind what you are going to saw or how, it ain't right. Talk to a different tech and tell them the photos are on WWT for them and ALL to see. Is this what they want to show the woodworkers who may consider buying one?Ii don't think so. A better resolution would be to show the photos of a new replacement table.

You can do it in a gentlemanly manner, I probably would get a little heated if it were me. :laughing:

Reactions: DIY

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm inclined to agree. I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't posing a complaint for something that was truly a non-issue. I emailed Grizzly again. I'll post what they reply.

Here's what I sent them.

"I received the message from ***XX that the warped table will not effect my cuts, however, upon speaking to other, more experienced bandsaw users, the consensus is that the table needs to be flat. I realize that the pictures may not show the extent of the warp, so I'd like to clarify that this is nearly 1/8" at it's worst point.

I consider this unacceptable and would like to escalate this to request that this table be replaced immediately and at no charge to myself.

The table can be shipped to the same address as the original order. Please contact me to confirm the replacement.

Thank you for your help!"

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
A flat table is great. A non-flat table might be fine too, depending on where it is. I don't consider a bandsaw to be a precision tool for final dimensioning. Cut surfaces from a BS generally require more machining to get them flat, true, and smooth anyway. My experience has been that table deviations don't usually make much difference to the end result. Again.... have you made any cuts too see if it affects them? That's the acid test here....why not make some cuts first to see if there's really an issue?

·
where's my table saw?
28,742 Posts
You just bought a new car.

It's sitting in the dealer's lot. One tire is flat. It's only flat on the bottom. It would still be able to drive, just not very far. I'd want them to fix it. :yes:

Granted, bandsaws are not precision machines, it's just the principle.... a nice new machine with a "flaw". Maybe not enough to matter at first, maybe never, maybe they are all warped...who knows. It doesn't send a signal of quality which I have experienced with other Grizzly machines in my shop. I didn't get the very low end machines and they were great. Won't hurt to pursue it a bit further,. All they can say is what they've already said, "It won't matter." JMO.

Reactions: Bob Willing

·
Registered
268 Posts
That's terrible, 1/8" dip in a 17" top? I wouldn't expect it to be perfect but that's crazy.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
I do not think it matters how much of a problem the deviation presents. If we do not complain and loudly about quality issues it will get worse before it gets better. Did you pay with a credit card? I would promise them you will dispute charges if you cannot get what you paid for. My 62 yr old rockwell- is dead flat.

·
Wood Snob
5,963 Posts
You might be fine on a cut. But that's not what you bought. Stand your ground. Besides your not going to be able to clamp other fixtures to it very well. You will always have to compensate for it. 1/8" is a monstrous amount.

Al

Nails only hold themselves.

·
Registered
579 Posts
I'm not sure how the trunnion(s) attach underneath the table on that saw, but is it possible that they're deforming the table? An easy test would be to back off on the mounting bolts & see if it affects the dip you're seeing. Maybe some molding flash or other crud is interfering with the mounting?

Of course it's also well within the realm of possibility that I have no idea of what I'm talking about! :laughing:

Just a thought...

·
bzguy
581 Posts
I'd tell Grizzly in no uncertain terms that saw tables are flat, period.
If they don't replace it you'll give them a lot of bad press.
Send them the link to this thread for starters.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
You know......I've never found ultimatums to companies to be effective. I've had much better results being civil, and if one person isn't able to fix your problem at grizzly, ask to speak to their supervisor. Quite honestly, the flunky guy your talking to on the phone isn't going to give a damn about bad press.....

·
bzguy
581 Posts
You know......I've never found ultimatums to companies to be effective. I've had much better results being civil, and if one person isn't able to fix your problem at grizzly, ask to speak to their supervisor. Quite honestly, the flunky guy your talking to on the phone isn't going to give a damn about bad press.....
When I said "Grizzly" I surely wasn't referring to the "Flunky".
Whatever Rush, you just like to be contrary.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
bzguy said:
When I said "Grizzly" I surely wasn't referring to the "Flunky". Whatever Rush, you just like to be contrary.
Just my opinion that threats of bad press aren't the way to build relationships or good will.

·
bzguy
581 Posts
Just my opinion that threats of bad press aren't the way to build relationships or good will.
OK Ambassador Limbagh, just my opinion, you like to argue.
"Good luck" with your "Good will" campaign with outsourcing mega-corps, they really obviously care about personal relationships, they fired thousands of Americans.
So let's see, there's Joeb, Woodnthings, JC, Tilarian, Mike and Al who all agree, piss-pour manufacturing.
Go for it, negotiate this for the guy, show us all how it's done.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts