Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought an old delta table saw on craigslist. I spend $80 for it because it didn't have a fence or miter gauge. I went out and bought the Delta T2 fence and installed it. it was working great for the first half a dozen cuts, then the motor seems to have just died. My predicament is I have a nice new fence but no table saw. I've surmised that my three options are:

1) Buy a brand new saw (most of the ones I'm looking at have the T2 fence already) and chock the loss of money on the T2 fence I have to experience

2)Try to find another used table saw that uses the same fence

3) Try to repair the dead motor

Any advice for a poor woodworker?

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
You should be able to recoup the vast majority of the t2 fence by selling it used. More info is needed on your saw to decide which route you should go. What's your current saw, which would you replace it with?

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
If that's the saw you have, and you'd be willing to spend 400-600 on a new saw, I'd buy a new saw.

Just me...

·
Old Methane Gas Cloud
3,500 Posts
You don't say HOW the motor died.

The solution could be a lot of very inexpensive things.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was using it to cut a dado in some 1x3 pine. After the 3rd cut it sputtered and stopped in a span of ~10seconds. When I try to turn it on now, nothing happens. I didn't see any smoke or smell any burning.

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
You could probably find another similar saw to use as a donor....it doesn't even have to be in good shape so might be cheap.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
If it was me......

I'd pick up one of the craftsman 21833 saws (499 right now if you are a craftsman club member....or sign up which is free).....and i'd install right out of the box your delta t2 fence.

·
No Longer Here, BY CHOICE
2,442 Posts
Where did you find a T2? No one has them in stock.

Youll be able to get most of your money back on the fence because no one has them.

Id pull the motor and take it to a motor repair shop first and see what they say. May be simple and cheap fix.

·
Registered
26,880 Posts
It's possible you may need to have the motor repaired or replace it but before you tear into it I would blow the motor out with compressed air. It may just be full of dust or dirt dobber nests.

·
Registered
57 Posts
When you try and turn it on, does it hum or make any noise at all? If the motor is truest blown, I would try looking on craigslist for a cheap saw with a good motor.

·
Old School
24,017 Posts
Before you go to any extremes, check the outlet that the saw is plugged into to see if another appliance works. Check the saw motor for a "reset" button. If it has one press it, and see if the saw turns on. If you have a multi-meter (HF has them less than $10), check out where if at all the power stops leading to the motor. Check all wiring, and check for fuses /breakers.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Unless the actual windings are bad, sometimes blown motors only need new brushes which are cheap and easy to install.

·
Registered
25 Posts
The frugal person in me would take the motor off and find a shop to rebuild it.

Would more than likely be fairly cheap and get you going again

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thank you for the suggestions. I brought it in yesterday to a motor repair shop, I'll keep you posted, if you're interested.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Before you go to any extremes, check the outlet that the saw is plugged into to see if another appliance works. Check the saw motor for a "reset" button. If it has one press it, and see if the saw turns on. If you have a multi-meter (HF has them less than $10), check out where if at all the power stops leading to the motor. Check all wiring, and check for fuses /breakers.

I totally agree!

If all is good with the incoming power, then dig into the motor, but only after resetting the circuit breaker at the motor. Unless they have been completely cooked, motors are usually very forgiving and easy to repair by replacing the brushes and cleaning the armature, maybe replace the bearings.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts