Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So today I got an absolutely smokin' deal on a NIB dust collector. Only problem it is 220 volt. I know- it sounds crazy getting a 220 volt piece of equipment when no 220 is readily available but like I said- it was a good price- good enough to buy and hold onto until 220 does become available in my future. Question is- will an inverter provide me 220 should I decide to go that route? All good stuff is 220 volt :sad:

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
JJDiesel said:
So today I got an absolutely smokin' deal on a NIB dust collector. Only problem it is 220 volt. I know- it sounds crazy getting a 220 volt piece of equipment when no 220 is readily available but like I said- it was a good price- good enough to buy and hold onto until 220 does become available in my future. Question is- will an inverter provide me 220 should I decide to go that route? All good stuff is 220 volt :sad:
By the way....no deal info or pictures.....it didn't happen.

·
where's my table saw?
28,745 Posts
in general

All houses have 220 V coming to the main panel. The panel has 2 sides of contacts, right and left with a center neutral bar. Since most household appliances, toaster, TVs, lights use 110 they just use one side of the panel or the other for circuits. To get 220 V you use BOTH sides of the panel and there's a double pole breaker that does that. It has 2 terminals for HOT rather than one, like for 110 V.
Your basement may have 220V, but it's unlikely that the garage will have it UNLESS the clothes dryer is out there or an electric hot water heater.

So when you want to wire up your new tool, consult a licensed electrician who will run the new wires from the main house panel and into your shop space. IF you have the clothes dryer outlet, he can make up a special adaptor wire for your new tool. This may also require permission from the person who does the laundry..... :yes:

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
Run the 220v. With guidance from a cooperative electrician, you can do the grunt work, and pay him to consult and sign off on it.

·
Registered
530 Posts
If you have multiple 110's in your shop, you can always rewire one to 220. It'll save you pulling wire but could be more work in the end if there are multiple outlets strung from it. Keep it as an option when you talk to the expert.

·
Registered
26,984 Posts
Acutally all the good stuff is three phase but that is another story. I would recommend that you have an electrician put in a sub-panel in your shop so you would have the electrical for more 220v machines. If you overtask the power you have you will find yourself tripping breakers all the time.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I don't own this house as I just moved to this area so I won't be stringing any wire. Even if I wanted to run 220 it would be rough as the panel is in a carpeted basement. I guess I could fish the wires but it would be a nightmare.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Well I don't own this house as I just moved to this area so I won't be stringing any wire. Even if I wanted to run 220 it would be rough as the panel is in a carpeted basement. I guess I could fish the wires but it would be a nightmare.
here's an easy and safe way (at least according to shopnotes magazine) to get 220v power from two 110v outlets on different phases:

http://www.quick220.com/

not the cheapest long term solution but potentially competitive with an electrician's work as a short term solution, especially when dealing with finished space for the main panel.

·
Registered
196 Posts
here's an easy and safe way (at least according to shopnotes magazine) to get 220v power from two 110v outlets on different phases:

http://www.quick220.com/

not the cheapest long term solution but potentially competitive with an electrician's work as a short term solution, especially when dealing with finished space for the main panel.
WOW! I stumbled onto this thread by accident. This is something I can use. I continually find things on here that I can use. Thanks.

Charlie

1 - 12 of 12 Posts