Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These were easy, unfortunately there isn't a single bench design we like so I will be drawing up my own plans for a storage bench and table to match these chairs.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Very nice,I like that you curved the sitting part,Flat would be a pain in the_____.

Reactions: TimT

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, I got the plans from the family handyman site for the chairs. Like its already been mentioned, I like the fact that they don't sit as low as standard adirondaks.
As far as over the top, thanks, but I thought this was a fairly easy project and it didn't require any real crazy tools or techniques. My daughter helped me cut the lumber to size, she held the wood steady so she felt important. :) Then she helped me assemble the pieces and clean up as we worked. She seemed to enjoy helping in the garage with the tools so maybe I have a little woodworker on my hands.

·
I like Nails
331 Posts
Nice chairs. Is that pine, or treated, and are you happy with the stability using one by's?

I guess treated would be darker.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, they are completely built from treated lumber. The stability is not a problem with the 1x4's for the legs.

I just finished the bench and table to go along with them as well. All in all, I think I have about 120-130 bucks wrapped up in this project. Not too shabby in my opinion.

·
Pain in the A$$
1,904 Posts
Very nice project. I really like the chairs. I'm a big fan of Adirondack chairs, but mainly due to memories of growing up in the area.

·
Registered
470 Posts
No one has mentioned how he can transform a plastic table into a neat little feller of class with just the right proportions. :laughing::laughing:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No one has mentioned how he can transform a plastic table into a neat little feller of class with just the right proportions. :laughing::laughing:

It was like magic, after I finished the bench, I saw the wood there and thought it would be nice to have a table. The next thing I knew, I had a table. It was the darndest thing.

·
Registered
470 Posts
It was like magic, after I finished the bench, I saw the wood there and thought it would be nice to have a table. The next thing I knew, I had a table. It was the darndest thing.
I don't know if the table compliments the chairs or vise versa because I don't know enough to design a corner post, but they sure look good together and thanks for the pics.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No problem and thank you for the compliment.

This was my first serious build in a few years and its really not that serious. I just didn't agree with my wife's idea to get plastic chairs for the front porch and it snowballed into all the other stuff. Its actually the first time I've built chairs or a table and there are minor flaws with each, mostly just stuff I would notice though. Regardless, I'm happy with it, she's happy with it, and a few friends seem to think I have a decent ability. I think I still have a lot to learn.

·
Registered
656 Posts
You should be proud, that's a great looking set you have there on your porch. Like the chairs, look comfortable and sturdy. The bench is very nice with big storage. They all look way better than plastic ones. Great decision on choosing wood. Looking forward to the next projects.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks Mac- I am pretty proud of this set. I figure I can call it a set at this point. In the process of building these I discovered that the handle used to adjust the bevel/tilt of my old and cheap tablesaw was busted so I'm thinking of using it as an excuse to get a better saw, but they aren't cheap. I do have a few ideas for some more projects though so hopefully I can get the tools out again and start working with them. Even if it is with the tablesaw that needs vice grips to adjust the bevel now.

Sanchez- funny you should say that. I told my wife I was probably going to let them sit for a bit then I would stain them with a deck stain. Didn't realize that you were talking about deck stain though until I used the power of google. The posts for the porch are eventually going to get trimmed out and painted white so the furniture will be the only wood stained items on the porch.

·
I wood if I could.
3,976 Posts
Great looking patio set!

That stuff looks really nice. Some Sikkens or Cabot on there would really make them outstanding!
Heh, I thought you were talking about wines. :laughing:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts