Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Egg Spurt
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got contacted by a guy who wanted to square up some walnut pieces so why not? He dropped by today with a load of walnut and maple and traded all this stuff for an hour or so of time with my planer and jointer. We got it all square and he couldn't be more giddy happy and gave me all this stock and has another 24-30 of them he's willing to trade me for work.. These all come from a now moved to Portugal gun stock factory here in SC. So...I guess I need to figure out what to do with all this nice lumber. The thinnest piece is a little under 2 3/8" .. Turns out he only lives about 2 blocks away..
He was happier than a pig in **** with how the jointer worked. To be honest so am I..

Reactions: difalkner

·
Super Moderator
3,341 Posts
hmmmmm - gunstocks ??
look on Ebay and see what blank stocks are going for.

Reactions: woodnthings

·
Super Moderator
4,849 Posts
I got contacted by a guy who wanted to square up some walnut pieces so why not? He dropped by today with a load of walnut and maple and traded all this stuff for an hour or so of time with my planer and jointer. We got it all square and he couldn't be more giddy happy and gave me all this stock and has another 24-30 of them he's willing to trade me for work.. These all come from a now moved to Portugal gun stock factory here in SC. So...I guess I need to figure out what to do with all this nice lumber. The thinnest piece is a little under 2 3/8" .. Turns out he only lives about 2 blocks away..
He was happier than a pig in **** with how the jointer worked. To be honest so am I..
Man, you did rack up some fine stock, no pun intended. lol You could cut some of that up and sell it as pen blanks. I am amazed at the cost of pen blanks. Some cheap, some not so cheap. But given the size of the pen blanks, it makes a fair size block of wood pretty good cost wise.

·
Registered
Egg Spurt
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hmmmmm - gunstocks ??
look on Ebay and see what blank stocks are going for.

I'm not really interested in selling it for that since they were all rejects from the factory, not to say someone couldn't still use them for such, but they were really just given to me. It would be just as easy to sell as turning blanks if I was going to sell it all. Most of the walnut is nice figured stuff while the maple is fairly straight "tiger-ish" with some nice striping in some of it. I guess I'll have to make at least one or two obligatory cutting boards and go from there.. Heck, my cutting boards are cheap bamboo boards and getting kind of ratty looking anyway.

·
Registered
Egg Spurt
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Is that a can of gas sitting directly under an electric saw?
To be fair it's not a grinder.. ,but yeah.. It's usually on the mower which has been outside for the past month or so. I finally got it back inside yesterday.
For years I've been told I'm going to burn the house /shop/business to the ground and haven't yet and with that I think I'll go smoke in bed just for that..with the gas can add a frayed light cord under a rug..

Reactions: Tetis
1 - 7 of 7 Posts