Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have completed a few more end tables, and have figured out the stain I want to use to highlight the materials character. I have moved on to building a small stand for the TV. basically it will be like a two drawer bedside table, with a shelf where the upper drawer would be. I have started to cut down the side panels, which are several boards glued together to reach the desired size. I tend to check my glued joints by applying pressure to the scrap I cut off to make sure the joints wont open up. My joints are solid, but the material breaks fairly easily.

I think I am going to need to run some cross support to ad strength to the piece. I can hide these inside the piece so it won't alter my design. I would like to use the same barn material, but I am not sure if that is a good idea. Will I run into issues with movement as it adjusts to the changing seasons? would I be better off using a newer hardwood material to minimize the movement? Or am I just over-thinking this whole thing and the cross supports would just be overkill?

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here is a picture of the split wood, it took some pressure to snap it but not a lot. The material is between 4/4 and 5/4. I believe it was milled on site for the barn, so it may be lodge pole pine, but is definitely some sort of pine.

Attachments

·
Registered
834 Posts
If I'm thinking right you shouldn't have any stress on the sides except for down ward compression so your glue ups should be just fine.

Putting a brace on the inside will run into a cross grain problem for sure.

Reactions: Dodger52

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Paarker, you are probably right. There maybe a little stress from the front and back cross members but that should be minimal. My original plan was to cut dado s to hang the shelf, but I may hang it on dowels so that I don't weaken the structure anymore.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update

I haven't been able to spend as much time in the shop lately due to life in general, so I just got to the glue-up on the main structure. The side panels are weak enough that there was a lot of flex from the clamping. Following the advice I received I did not run any cross supports. I have decided to complete this table but I am likely building firewood. I think the best move is to start over and be a little more careful to cut out those weak spots. I have been working with the side of the barn that had taken the brunt of the weather, I am hoping that the rest of the material is a little more solid. I will put some pictures up when I remove the clamps if it holds together.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts