Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I'm new here and I have no knowledge of WW...yet. Hopefully I'll learn as I'm more active on this site!

In the mean time I'm looking for someone that can give me a quote and possibly build this cabinet for me.

I'm looking for wood that's very durable and highly water resistant. (bug resistant if possible) This will hold my small collection of comics.

The inside dimensions of the drawer are 8 1/2 wide x 17 long x 7 high. The drawer's maximum clearance from bottom to top is 11 1/2. (all dimensions listed here are inches)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply CabinetMan! I actually just found out the pictures I used were from that website! In your professional opinion is getting something like this made more expensive than buying it from that site? Thank you for all your help!

·
Old School
24,017 Posts
Thanks for the reply CabinetMan! I actually just found out the pictures I used were from that website! In your professional opinion is getting something like this made more expensive than buying it from that site? Thank you for all your help!
I don't know what the cost is from that site, but I did say it's likely less than custom made.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yikes, that is expensive. No wonder you are looking for alternatives.
Well honestly I wasn't sure if that was a decent price or not. Hopefully someone can help me out before i decide to go with that site then. No rush though. Maybe I'll learn to do it on my own with all the knowledge available here! Lol

·
Registered
885 Posts
Well if Cal can do it for 1700 I bet I can do it for 1650. I'll even put in some cedar to keep the moths and other bugs away

·
Banned
3,533 Posts
For the record, that first picture looks like it's actually 3 separate, identical, units stacked on top of each other. Are you looking for that kind of flexibility or do you want a single large cabinet?

As for custom versus, "off the shelf", you can find something like you're looking for significantly cheaper than $1700 but you'll need to look for something not marketed toward collectors. Think filing cabinets and you'll find a lot more options at much cheaper prices in a whole range of material options. Or, you can go the custom route and probably spend anywhere from $500 on up, depending upon quality of build and materials.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sorry for the late reply and thank you to everyone that has responded! I've thought of going the filing cabinet route but nothing seems to fit just right. (Usually its too large for the comics)

What kind of wood would you great professionals recommend for something like this?

Is there anything in wood that can be harmful towards basically archiving old comics? (Sorry for newbie questions) your help is greatly appreciated!

·
Banned
3,533 Posts
I'd recommend maple or oak but stay away from any of the fruit/nut woods. Check on the PH levels you want to maintain and then look into the woods you want based upon that. Barring that, make sure you get a fully sealing finish and pick whatever woods you like.

If you have a lot invested in your comics you want to take care of them...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts