Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Eric P.
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm pretty new to woodworking, especially on the furniture side. I got into wood working about a year ago when I built my first plywood drawer cabinet. I then followed up with an ambitious project of rebuilding our 20x26 deck from the footers up. This really got me interested in woodworking and all the challenges that come with it. I really enjoy the feeling you get when you work with your hands, and the satisfaction at the end of a project.

A little about me, I didn't grow up with shop class in school, and my father wasn't particularly handy, thus my interest growing up wasn't very great. Since owning a home, I have really appreciated doing things on my own, and I'm surprised how relatively easy the repairs and improvements are. I've started recognizing the small details in furniture, and even analyzing finishes. I'm still learning what different woods look like and their best uses.

I recently completed a project to improve storage in a closet under our stair case. Originally this was used as a coat closet and it was a junk pile that we dreaded opening to the door to. With this new large shelf and extra large drawers we can contain all that clutter, and get it off the floor allowing us to walk into the closet without tripping. I 2x4 to build a frame in the closet, creating an angled resting point to avoid interfering with the A/C intake conduit. I then built drawers out of plywood and used heavy duty full extension rails to install the drawers. After I used another piece of plywood for the top shelf, and I used Red oak for the drawer fronts and trim to hide the 2x4 and plywood edge. I used white latex paint to match the trim in the house, and a dark Kona stain with 3x thick semi gloss water based polyurethane for the trim finish.

One thing I'm still learning about is finishes. I want to learn how to spray them on with a HVLP sprayer, and what finishes are good for scratch resistant finishes. I have some testing to do, and I hope this community will help me find a good solution for this, along with solutions for designs where I fall short.

I glad to be part of the community!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Welcome to the forum, I like how you maxed out the storage with the angles drawer, never seen that done before

Lots of good people here with good advice

1 - 3 of 3 Posts