Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently "refreshed" my herd of goats with some younger stock. We have been having a lot of Coyote sightings as well as a couple of Bobcats. I decided to bring in a protector for the herd. Here is Don Quixote aka Donny. So far he has been bonding with the goats, I'm pretty sure he is nearly there since on Sunday my sister-in-law came by and went to see the new goats and he stomped up to her and was showing signs of protection. She didn't stay long enough to get a good look! Job well done Donny....on two accounts

Hays

IMG_0875.jpg

IMG_0876.jpg

·
Registered
470 Posts
I wish you, anyone that enters the area, Donny and the goats well. Sometimes it works out and sometimes not.

I have a niece with cattle. This past winter she and her husband took in two donkeys that were cheeeeep, as in free. All seemed to be ok until the cows calved when it was discovered the Jack had killed 3 baby calves.

We had a paint mare that had to be separated when ewes lambed because she would kill baby lambs.

Maybe I can get a 10 million dollar grant to study this.:laughing:

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
SR,

Thanks for the info. You are correct, nobody knows. He did come from a farm that had goats. However, that really doesn't say anything on my property. So far he has been pretty gentle with my wife and I. I hope all goes well, if not he will be culled and food for the buzzards or given away with the knowledge I have to the new owners. I'll keep the status posted, the Nannys should be in heat in a couple of months.

Hays

p.s. if you get the grant to study I'll only charge you 2 million for the use of the land:laughing:

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
Many years ago I did some carpentry work around a barn for a woman who raised sheep. She had a Donkey in the field with the sheep and she said it protected the sheep from coyotes. She had a few coyote skins hanging around the fences as proof.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sleeper,

You are correct. Donkeys protect their "herd". They do a pretty good job also so far so good here

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
Not a donkey, but close enough I guess.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We have coyotes, bobcats and the occasional red tailed hawk. Sure hope he won't have to fend off a mountain lion! If he does I may have a 7.62mm to assist

1 - 7 of 7 Posts