Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used my HVLP sprayer on my last project and it turned out great! I've had it for 4 years and I've been scared to use it. 4 coats with 220 in between and 400 final sand. It looked like it came from a store prefinished. I've never been able to get a finish that great, it's perfectly even and very very smooth. Not only does it look great it took 1/4 of the amount of time.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I'll never use a brush again either.
It always amazed me how much money woodworkers would spend on
their tools and ignore the most critical and important step-finishing.
It's amazing how much better and easier my finishing is since
getting spray equipment. What used to be a chore and take forever
is now the fastest and easiest part.
The finish is what makes or breaks a project.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
45 Posts
What finish did you use and what set up do you have. I have looked at a hvlp titan ts 40, gun and turbine about $895 with 5 atomizers. Lacquor is the suggested aplication for quick drying and ease of use.
I just read the thread about all these expensive tools and neglecting the most important..finishing. That is toatally me in a nut shell.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a Blue Point(from Snap-On) BF350 and a 15 Gallon compressor. I didn't use any air filters but I definitely will next time. I drained and ran the compressor a few times before I sprayed and didn't have any problems.

I sprayed Spar Urethane, which is really thick. I can't wait to Try it with poly.

The post with pictures in the Trim Carpentry section. I layed all of the skirting and trim pieces out and sprayed each one before assembly.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
What size tip are you using? What size tip would you recommend? I would love one of those gravity guns. I'm getting tired of the airless setup and it just puts on way too much material for some projects that I do. Others require a heavy coat but I would still like to invest in a gravity gun.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
I've got a Grizzly close to me and I was looking through their catalog and noticed a large selection of gravity guns but there is a large selection as far as tip size.

They have guns with tips from .8mm to 2.0mm. I just noticed though looking through it a second time that they have one gun that you can buy extra tips for and they offer sizes 1.4, 1.7, 1.8, and 2.0mm. I think that will be the one I get that way I will have a choice.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I used my HVLP sprayer on my last project and it turned out great! I've had it for 4 years and I've been scared to use it. 4 coats with 220 in between and 400 final sand. It looked like it came from a store prefinished. I've never been able to get a finish that great, it's perfectly even and very very smooth. Not only does it look great it took 1/4 of the amount of time.
Jodie, you really don't have to sand between every coat. I presume you are using lacquer?? We do one coat of sanding sealer, sand with 400, then just build up two or three coats of lacquer. No sanding after that 400. Smooth as a baby's bottom. If you do get a nib or something in one of the coats, just a quick swipe with 400 will remove it--no need to sand the whole piece.

Nancy

1 - 9 of 9 Posts