Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a vintage Kimball organ carcass, from a junk furniture store. I am wanting to make a desk from what I can salvage. I believe this wood is oak, but I wanted the opinion of the experts. Here are a few pictures. It’s only cost me $20.00.

Attachments

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I agree that first picture looks to be white oak but is the whole piece white oak or just the structure? I'm no Turner or Carver but isn't white oak very difficult to turn and carve? Is it possible the decorative turnings and carvings be something other than WO?
I will be repairing the structure and adding the desk top, drawers and doors only. The turnings will just be cleaned up and sanded.

·
Registered
28,789 Posts
I agree that first picture looks to be white oak but is the whole piece white oak or just the structure? I'm no Turner or Carver but isn't white oak very difficult to turn and carve? Is it possible the decorative turnings and carvings be something other than WO?
Sometimes a secondary wood is used when making furniture however not usually on oak. Oak is a cheap wood which is normally used throughout. Oak turns very easily but is more difficult to carve however in the day when people used to carve all day it didn't present that much of a problem. I have carved oak before and you just end up using a mallet more.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts