Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Simple stuff you would think. Face frames of maple and overlay is 1/2"
I just got the doors and drawers delivered. They are bored and have 2 pilot screws for your typical "pocket hinge".
I've just tried the Blum Compact soft close hinges 1/2" overlay and they work ok, but not thrilled about what it feels like if someone opens the door all the way.
It feels a bit flimsy at the point. May not be a big deal, but I m considering mounting the inner part of hinge on the side of the box where it would be more stable I think.
But finding a hinge for face frames for that is messy. I'm guessing here that you have to make blocks to bring the mounting assembly to where it needs to be.
Any advice and/or hinge that would work better than the compact soft close 1/2" overlay?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Thanks for the input.
I found this...........

........but there is no data on it. Does not seem to have closing adjustment like Blum.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Question??????

Are these soft close hinges the way to go? I'm seeing more hinges that self close. Also, the big difference is that the soft close have a huge gap 3/16"
I'm not sure I'm locked into the soft close one and might try to get samples of the self closing ones. Do people use an additional stop to soften the closing effect?

·
Registered
Termite
4,515 Posts
It will have the same adjustment..

All those hinges are expensive.

Personally I buy nothing from Rocker or woodcraft unless I fell like donating that day.

Given them a week and see how they do..

·
Registered
699 Posts
Simple stuff you would think. Face frames of maple and overlay is 1/2"
I just got the doors and drawers delivered. They are bored and have 2 pilot screws for your typical "pocket hinge".
I've just tried the Blum Compact soft close hinges 1/2" overlay and they work ok, but not thrilled about what it feels like if someone opens the door all the way.
It feels a bit flimsy at the point. May not be a big deal, but I m considering mounting the inner part of hinge on the side of the box where it would be more stable I think.
But finding a hinge for face frames for that is messy. I'm guessing here that you have to make blocks to bring the mounting assembly to where it needs to be.
Any advice and/or hinge that would work better than the compact soft close 1/2" overlay?
Mepla makes a pretty decent hinge as does Grass. They all make FF overlay hinges. Usually the cup and hinge plate are purchased separately.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
As a professional, I've used a lot of Euro hinges in numerous configurations. While the face frame mounting brackets are simple and easy, I have found that making blocks to mount a standard mounting plate on is noticably sturdier. I rarely use the ff plates unless I can use the type that wraps around the back side of the ff and also screws in there. Those are better than the ones that only screw into the edge of the ff, but you have to have enough of a lip behind it for them to fit.

B Coll says "Mepla makes a pretty decent hinge as does Grass. " As far as I know, Grass bought Mepla years ago. I used to use Mepla, but then couldn't get them any longer after they were bought by Grass. I do not know if that situation has changed. My preference is Blum. I like their action better than most. But then, Euro hinges would not be my first choice. They are not real strong, and they will frequently go out of alignment with a lot of use. Their advantages are that they are adjustable, and they are cheap, about $10 for a pair of 170 degree hinges with mounting plates. Also, a lot of people like the fact that they are concealed when the doors are closed. I prefer inset doors with good quality brass hinges, but they are more expensive at $15 - $20/pair, and they require a lot more work and precision in the fit of the door and the mounting of the hinges. But they are much stronger and more reliable. IMO.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I made cabinets for our kitchen remodel that was completed 2 years ago. I drew the cabinets in Google Sketchup first and used Cutlist to make material lists. The cabinet construction was successful and they are very sturdy. I don't expect trouble from them for decades.

I bought Blum hardware from a company called AH Turf That has the best prices on Blum hinges and slides that I could find. I would call and ask for Robby. He worked with pricing to take the sting out of high shipping costs. I used 1/2" overlay hinges for my cabinets. I made small soffit cabinets with small doors that took the compact hinges. I suspect the undersize hinges used on larger doors is causing the feeling that they are flimsy.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts