Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I built this years ago, I can’t think right now how long its been, but I was depending on glue to hold it in place. It started separating a few years ago and I don’t know of a glue that will hold up under these conditions.

So I’m thinking of cutting a slot in the base and using a small piece of metal to secure it into place. The problem is I don’t know how to cut the slot with removing the base. I have a dremel too with a small saw blade that might work. I also have a biscuit cutter, but I don’t think I can get close enough.

Is there another power too that I could use to do this?

·
John
3,028 Posts
Hi Johnny - you want the slot flush with the base right? The only tool I can think of to get in there is one of those oscillating multi-tools, ie. Fein MultiMaster ($$$$), Dremel Multi-Max ($), or similar. Harbor Freight has one for about $20 though.
http://www.harborfreight.com/power-...ting-multifunction-power-tool-68861-8493.html

The blades aren't nearly 1/8" thick but you can make several cuts, placing a shim under the blade each cut until you work it out to 1/8". Shouldn't take more than two or three cuts to get what you want.
I'm not swearing to the quality of the Harbor Freight tool but it should get you through at least one job. :smile:

Reactions: Sleeper

·
Registered
5,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, that is one tool that I don’t have. Maybe I’ll stop by tonight and pick one up. :thumbsup:

I should just replace the base piece but I don’t have the time right now to make new one. I cut tenons for each arch and the flat trim arc piece was an afterthought to keep rain out of my finger tenons in the arc pieces. I’m just trying to get everything secure and the wife is going to fill in the cracks and paint it. :smile:

·
Old School
24,017 Posts
Thanks guys, that is one tool that I don’t have. Maybe I’ll stop by tonight and pick one up. :thumbsup:

I should just replace the base piece but I don’t have the time right now to make new one. I cut tenons for each arch and the flat trim arc piece was an afterthought to keep rain out of my finger tenons in the arc pieces. I’m just trying to get everything secure and the wife is going to fill in the cracks and paint it. :smile:
You're gonna like that tool. I should say you will like what that type of tool can do. I bought one just to try it out, and it can do what no other tool can do. It may not be of the quality of the Fein, but I've been using mine for some years now and don't have any complaints with it, other than it gets pretty warm and it's noisy.

·
Registered
527 Posts
You're gonna like that tool. I should say you will like what that type of tool can do. I bought one just to try it out, and it can do what no other tool can do. It may not be of the quality of the Fein, but I've been using mine for some years now and don't have any complaints with it, other than it gets pretty warm and it's noisy.

That thing has gotten me through many a problem. You will like it for sure.

·
Registered
12,987 Posts
I bought a cordless from Sears a couple of years ago and love it. One of the main things I used it for was cleaning barnacles off the running gear of my boat. Great for that job.

However, that also led to my current problem. I left the blade attached and now cannot remove it. I have been soaking it with PB blaster for the last month and still no luck. The salt water just caused the allen screw that secures the blade to rust in place.

George

·
Registered
5,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I bought a cordless from Sears a couple of years ago and love it. One of the main things I used it for was cleaning barnacles off the running gear of my boat. Great for that job.

However, that also led to my current problem. I left the blade attached and now cannot remove it. I have been soaking it with PB blaster for the last month and still no luck. The salt water just caused the allen screw that secures the blade to rust in place.

George
Wow, well I'll be sure not to use it on anything corrosive.

I finally got my wife ready to go and I'm heading out to by one right now :smile:

·
Old School
24,017 Posts

George
Are you sure it's not a reverse thread?

·
Registered
5,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just got back from Harbor Freight and I was glad to see that a blade or cutter whatever its called came in the box. I thought the internet add said the blade was separate.

I had my wife with me and I thought I saw a display somewhere with the Milwaukee so I stopped at Lowe's to show my wife how it worked, but it wasn’t Lowe's. Now that I see the Home depot add, I guess it was there that I saw it.

Anyway I’m going to give the Harbor Freight model a try 1st ting tomorrow and if it’s one of those tools that I really need, then I’ll give this one to my daughter and buy me a good one. :smile:

·
Registered
5,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Are you sure it's not a reverse thread?

LOL, I just went through that with a leaver door lock. I ended up breaking it and was just looking for a new lock at Lowe's. :laughing:

·
Registered
5,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
OMG, This works great!

I can’t believe I hadn’t bought one of these Multifunction Power Tools years ago.

I probably should have practiced first before made my 1st cut, but oh well its going to be filled in and painted anyway. I made the slot a little wide because I was expecting the inside cut to be rounded.

Thanks again and I may just keep this one from Harbor Freight because it runs pretty good.

I do have one more question and that is are the cutters interchangeable with other brands?

·
Registered
527 Posts
Some of them are. I can't say much for harbour freight, as i don't believe we have them here in canada..at least i've never seen it. I used the dremel today at work and noticed it had a mastercraft cutter on it, so it's possible.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts