Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking at 14 inch bandsaws. On my list are the Jet, Delta and Grizzly. I like both the Jet and Delta but they do not come with a rip fence or miter gauge and the Grizzly does. I'm just not too certain about the Grizzly quality since I've never owned any Grizzly machinery. Any suggestions on these models or other brand machines?

Thanks,
Steve

·
Forgotten but not gone
5,674 Posts
Welcome RT.

I don't own a nice large bandsaw just a cheapo dinky 12". Many people swear by grizzly. I owned one of their 10" sliding table saws and I was happy with the quality for the money, but that was before I discovered a little known thing called "used post-war American".
I am a broken record on this but I always suggest looking for old American steel when it comes to heavy machinery, or in this case many European bandsaws are as good and some better.
For the price of a new Grizzly or less, with patience, you can find used equipment that will have much higher quality than the Grizzly.
I am not saying there is never an instance when you should not buy new or even Grizzly. Just giving you an option you may have overlooked.
Good luck.

·
Registered
14 Posts
We like our Grizzly.

We have a 14" Grizzly in the Toolcritic shop and love it. It was our pick for 14" saws. (see http://www.toolcritic.com/12-14in-wood-cutting-bandsaws.html). We also have an older 18" Grizzly and it's only fair, but I don't think you can go wrong with the 14" model. It's won editors choice in a couple of magazine reviews.

Best,

Scott

·
Registered
266 Posts
You might also take a look at Steel City. They are making some awesome machines.

Nancy

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies and the suggestions. Nancy, I have never heard of Steel City. I will give them a look.

Thanks Y'all,
Steve

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I went and ordered the Grizzly 0555. I did a lot of looking around and figured it was my best bet. Thanks for the input y'all!

Steve

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Do I need to replace the roller bearings with cool blocks or something else? One of my bearings doesn't spin very freely either.

Thanks,
Steve

·
johnep
2,140 Posts
bandsaw

I must say that after hearing that the CEO answers customer service enquiries, I would give Steel City first choice.
johnep

·
Hacker of wood
90 Posts
I looked at a 14" Steel City today. The blade guard completely blocks the view of the cut line. Came home with a new Jet 14DX. The saw took me 1.5 hours to set up. The belt sheaves were in perfect alignment. The wheels took 5 minutes to set and a couple of more minutes for the blocks. There is no vibration and I'm real happy. The Steel City does look a bit better made and has 1.5hp compared to 1.25hp. It also cost about $80 more. However, the can't see the blade thing makes it worthless.

Tom

1 - 10 of 10 Posts