Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Folk Artist
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking for a method to attach a 3" glass globe to the top of a carved snake walking cane and I think I am getting closer to a solution. I plan to use a material called "Magic Sculp" to attach the globe to the stick.

The glass globe has a flat spot on the bottom (used as a paper weight). I'm hoping to scar the bottom enought to attach to the walking cane using the "Magic Sculp".

Just curious if anyone has done something simular before.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

·
Banned
3,533 Posts
I agree, the magic sculpt won't do what you're envisioning.

If it's actually glass, you might be able to rough up the flat spot a bit and then use some acrylic adhesive (not sure if this will work on glass) to "add on" an acrylic post/tenon then put it on the cane with a ferrule like putting a handle on a knife or tool. You could also try whatever glass resins the windshield repair guys use and then add an acrylic tenon using that.

·
Registered
164 Posts
In my experience(7 years as a glazier and counting) you need to find a suitable 2 part epoxy to bond glass effectively. You will need to rough up the bottom of the globe, as most glass-specific bonding agents are designed to bond glass to glass or to metal, not something as porous as wood.

If you want the real deal, check out a company called Bohle. They deal in glass bonding almost exclusively, but it will probably run you 100$ for the 2 tubes of epoxy, plus shipping form Germany lol.

I have had success using JB weld, and a few other name-brand hardware store epoxies that you can find anywhere.

I hope this helps,

Simon

·
Registered
3,635 Posts
Gorilla Glue Clear is excellent for bonding glass to wood. I have used it to glue a glass tube to wood and it sticks extremely well. (PS - Gorilla Glue Clear doesn't foam)

I would also try to drill a recess in the bottom of the glass ball to create a bit more surface area. The inexpensive diamond hole saws work quite well.

·
Registered
13,307 Posts
A paper weight on top of a walking stick. Is this going to be a defensive weapon for walking rough neighborhoods?

If this is what you are looking for then you will need more than just epoxy to hold. I would run a metal dowel into the glass and walking stick.

gmc

·
Registered
Egg Spurt
3,026 Posts
A paper weight on top of a walking stick. Is this going to be a defensive weapon for walking rough neighborhoods?

If this is what you are looking for then you will need more than just epoxy to hold. I would run a metal dowel into the glass and walking stick.

gmc
If you're just looking to beat someone's brains in I'm not sure a glass globe would be appropriate. A hammer head would be much more politically correct..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts