Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am restoring a mid 20th Century room divider that is held up with tension poles. Unfortunately the springs that adjust the height of the poles to accommodate for the ceiling height are missing. I have looked online but all I can find are curtain rods and shower curtain rods.
Does anyone know where I can get floor-to-ceiling tension rods or replacement parts? Thanks.

·
where's my table saw?
28,751 Posts
Really?

This is a woodworking forum with discussion and projects showcasing around the use of wood., woodworking machines and making sawdust in general.

What make you think this is a garage sale? flea market? Salvation Army, Goodwill, Home Depot? Pier One? Bedrooms and Bath? etc.... :blink:

·
Registered
54 Posts
How long? Diameter? Pictures? My local machine shop has made springs for me. Hardware store. Grainger has a large catalogue, expensive though. McMaster Carr? Google search with spring type?

Is this a nice wooden tri-fold divider?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I found the only thing missing is the rods that sit in the poles, I would imagine on top of the springs. I plan on replacing these with steel rods and rubber end caps. The divider is single panel with lattice work and two lamps. It has a sort of Mad Men, Frank Sinatra look about it. Thanks.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Sounds just like the old (70s) floor to ceiling lamps tension rods.
Saying with head bowed in shame, "I had one of those things".:yes:
Bill

·
Registered
303 Posts
Drop a spring down the hole and insert a dowel of the proper diameter and put a chair leg glide on the end of the dowel to prevent damage to the ceiling.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts