Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Hobbyist
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,

I'm pretty much a beginner as woodworker however pretty hand with tools and my hands. (Built a table, done a air amount of construction, etc). Anyhoo, looking for table saw recomendations that meets the following parameters.

Lightweight: Gotta yank it out of the basement and into the yard to work.
Decent quality.
Accept dado blades
Accurate enoughfor cutting tenons
As much rip capacity as possible (but remember my weight issue)

My night class woodshop teacher says "Buy the best tools you can afford" (but I can't afford much!) What type of saw do you use or have experience with? Is there a shop saw that I can get up and down the steps? (10 steps)

I welcome any and all suggestions. Thanks so much.

Greg

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
Craftsman 21829 or dewalt dw744.

If and only if you have to have a light portable one.

·
where's my table saw?
28,756 Posts
here's what I would do

I'd get this one. :yes: Wait,I already have that one, just the previous version. the 4100. It comes on a 2 wheel stand that will roll your stairs, and has plenty of power and a good fence. I like mine a lot and have carried it in and out of the truck many times. My saw has a separate stand, no wheels.

Bosch 4100-09 10-Inch Worksite Table Saw with Gravity-Rise Stand - Amazon.com

Reactions: gthec

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
Sounds like you need a portable saw. The Bosch 4100, DW744, and Ridgid R4510 are the perennial top dogs in this category. The Makita and Porter Cable have their fans too. Whatever you end up with, be sure to set aside ~ $30 for a good blade....the blade will ultimately make or break the end performance of the saw.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
And if a HD can be found that will accept the harbor freight "20%off any single item" coupon, the 4510 can be had for $400.

Reactions: gthec

·
Hobbyist
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks all for your posts. This is great stuff! So I think my plan is to save a little more and spend 4-600 bucks (up from 300 or so) and get the Rigid or the Dewalt. Given that I gotta lug this thing up and down the steps every time I want to work (and no space in the basement) a cabine saw won't work for me. I will let you know the final verdict. Thanks again. Greg

·
Hobbyist
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Hi Folks,
Finally got the saw! I ended up buying the Ridgid r4510. Home Depot had 'em on sale a few weeks back for $399.00 including the stand. I really want to put a shop together but considering I have to drag my shop out the basement, I think this might do the trick. Thanks again all for your help and suggestions.
Greg

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts