Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need feet/pads for a kitchen island with 3"x3" legs.

I was originally just thinking some kind of UHMWPE discs, but I'm not sure if that would be too slick for a kitchen island (don't want it to shift while you're chopping). So then I thought maybe some kind of no-skid variety, but I am worried that might not provide enough elevation for moisture.

Please share any thoughts on the matter. Thanks!

·
Registered
12,931 Posts

I was originally just thinking some kind of UHMWPE discs, but I'm not sure if that would be too slick for a kitchen island (don't want it to shift while you're chopping). So then I thought maybe some kind of no-skid variety, but I am worried that might not provide enough elevation for moisture.

What is a "UHMWPE" disc?

What kind/source etc. of moisture are you worried about? What kind of wood?

George

·
Old School
24,017 Posts

How about cork. You can get it in a very dense form, and cuts easy to any shape. Cork coasters come in various sizes and thicknesses.

·
7,222 Posts
What is the source of the moisture you are worried about?

Spills, leaks?

What is the material of the floor? Only concrete would wick moisture but not likely to cause a problem for the table.

As C'man said cork works, if no free water splashing around.

Could consider a rubber material, like a sheet of rubber gasket material from an auto parts store or a non-slip router pad.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ah didn't think of cork!

I am just worried about spills on the floor or mopping the floor and water pooling under/around the leg. A kitchen plus young kids...who knows!

Legs are maple.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts