Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just built a headboard out of an old solid wood door and it has an awful smell. It just smells like old musty wood. I painted it but that did not help. Any ideas.

TIA
Josh

·
Maker of fine Toothpicks
54 Posts
The only thing that comes to my mind is that you put a couple of coats of poly over the entire headboard to seal it. I honestly don't know if it would completely work though. Logically it would, you are sealing the wood with a poly which dries to a hard finish that keeps water and moisture out...but will it keep fumes from escaping hhhhmmmmm??? Worth a shot I would think.

·
Maker of fine Toothpicks
54 Posts
Sounds like the paint base and the poly base were different. Water to oil base? But yea you can go back to wood and then seal and paint over the seal coat.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for thr fast replies, Looks like I will be starting over with this next weekend. I will update and post a pic when I finish

·
Registered
253 Posts
Really seal it...

To really seal it, they make a sealer product for house fires. It locks in EVERYTHING. Then you can paint it any color on top of that. I used it on a rental house one time that had been neglected with cats and the pee stains went through the carpet, through the padding, and soaked into the hard wood floors. The smell was so bad that a few people actually puked when they walked in. That was over 10 years ago, and to this day you can't smell a thing. Of course, you can never go back to a finished wood look, it will always have to be painted.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
To really seal it, they make a sealer product for house fires. It locks in EVERYTHING. Then you can paint it any color on top of that. I used it on a rental house one time that had been neglected with cats and the pee stains went through the carpet, through the padding, and soaked into the hard wood floors. The smell was so bad that a few people actually puked when they walked in. That was over 10 years ago, and to this day you can't smell a thing. Of course, you can never go back to a finished wood look, it will always have to be painted.
Would I have to sand back to bare wood to apply or could I paint it over what I have already painted?

·
Registered
253 Posts
Just paint...

Would I have to sand back to bare wood to apply or could I paint it over what I have already painted?
I rolled it on right on top of the varnished or poly'ed floor. I'm pretty sure you don't have to strip the paint. Might not be a bad idea to rough it up a little though, but not sure. I got it at Lowes at the time. I went in and told the guy what I had and he recommended a sealer for small house fires to seal in the smoke smell. Worked great.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts