Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two large built-ins to do, and need an appearance that will come close to matching the existing clear pine trim and windows in the room.

The trim was surprisingly finished very well in a nice honey tone stain. It was done about six years ago and the color has had time to deepen very nicely.

I explained to the customer that I never say I'll match anything dead-on, but will come very close, which she was accepting of.

So now, I just got a price for clear cabinet grade pine ply for $135 a sheet (3/4) 1/2 wasn't much less. I kind of knew it was expensive, but didn't know it was that much.:huh:

Now I'm scratching my head wondering if I could use birch ply and clear pine for the solid stock and adjust the stain accordingly, birch ply and birch solid? Maple is out of the question.

Anyone have any suggestions I'm all ears.

·
Registered
354 Posts
$135!....holy mackrel! Where did that price come from?

Maybe everything's more expensive in your area, but around here walnut or cherry ply isn't even $100. I'd get a second opinion on that one.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
$135!....holy mackrel! Where did that price come from?

Maybe everything's more expensive in your area, but around here walnut or cherry ply isn't even $100. I'd get a second opinion on that one.
Really? I need to buy my walnut ply from your neck of the woods next time, My lowest price on 3/4 walnut one sided was $138.

There is a company here that has straight grained clear doug fur ply. The stuff is beautiful...also 100+ a sheet. :thumbdown:

I just bought some pint stain samples and am going to experiment a little.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
My local lumber supply store has some G1S oak 3/4 ply on special for $50 per 4x8 sheet. It is normally about $60. I think you are being ripped at $135 per sheet for pine. Check out some other sources.

Gerry

1 - 6 of 6 Posts