Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I stumbled across this forum tonight and thought you guys might be able to help.

I'm currently restoring a 1956 wurlitzer jukebox, but trying to keep as much of it original as possible. Right now, I'm reworking the sides of the machine and I came across this. (see pictures below). The veneer is in excellent shape for it's age, but I'm wanting to do some preventative maintenance. As you can see from the photos, it has a few small hairline "splits" in the veneer.

Is this anything to worry about? Should I put some kind of adhesive in the cracks to prevent it from happening further? Would applying oil help to condition the wood?

The plan going forward is to sand the sides and finish the wood veneer up with ZAR tung oil. The other side off the machine was perfect, and needed zero veneer repairs. I used 5 coats of ZAR and it turned out super.

Also, you'll see in the photos below I'm missing a few small chunks of veneer, what would you recommend for filling in these voids? Walnut wood filler of sorts or something else? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I would sand some to get a small pile of sanding dust and mix it with glue and apply to the cracks. than just sand smooth. That way you don't have to try and match colors of different aged wood.

·
Registered
27,647 Posts
It won't work to put an adhesive between the cracks of veneer that has shrunk. Try to run something thin like a utility knife blade under the veneer and see if it needs to be glued down near the cracks. If it's loose run some super glue under the veneer and stick it down. Once the veneer is solid you could put a piece of masking tape on each side of the crack and fill it with wood putty and sand it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts