Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I've posted this over on diyforums but thought I'd give it a shot here also.

I have this boring useless space off of the entrance to the house from the garage, I think the builder referred to it as a "valet"....whatever that means.

Anyway, I was thinking about doing a small locker area. similar to the one shown below. I wouldn't necessarily need to have the drawers in the bottom. I would be OK with open "boxes" to store shoes. Ideally I would like a bench that would open with a piano hinge.

I know that area is oddly shaped and kinda small, but I'd really like to fill the unused space. Any suggestions??

·
where's my table saw?
28,580 Posts
my thought is

I would ignore the 45 degree corner and just build straight out from the angle. You could have a hidden compartment behind the cabinet.
It's just a weird shape, so I'm wanting to simplify it by going straight across.

Then let your imagination be your guide, drawers, seating, overhead shelves with doors etc. Add some fluted trim and details to make it look like the rest of the decor.....

·
Old Methane Gas Cloud
3,500 Posts
Think Mud Room.

A bench with a storage area. Something on the wall to hang coats, etc.

Make the bench to fit the odd shape but a straight hinged lid leaving the odd shape as storage.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Here is an update after day 2 of the build. This is the first time I've done any kind of woodworking, hell, I've never even made a box before. I still need to finish the trim and caulk it. Wife is very pleased with it so far but I only seen to notice the 2 or 3 goof-ups and things I wish I had done different. Anyway, on with the update image-1900441161.jpg

image-1696368367.jpg

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Acercanto said:
Very nice! For being a novice, that's incredibly good work! Acer
Thank you! I owe a lot of the successes of the project to the members of this forum! Tons of good advice on here just a few clicks away.

·
Drafting Teacher
114 Posts
Wonderful job. As an after thought, I probably would have used some of the area in the back for a hidden storage as a place to hide valuables or something like that.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wonderful job. As an after thought, I probably would have used some of the area in the back for a hidden storage as a place to hide valuables or something like that.
Thanks for the kind words Timothy, as I said my skills are still pretty rudimentary for making good hidden storage nooks. I figure with that crown molding up top I can hide some smaller items (car keys?) while out of town.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Almost done, a few gaps need a bit more caulk but you get the idea. Overall it took~3 days of work from design to where it sits now. Of course, I see every single little imperfection in the build as well as all the things that I would do different next time but overall, I'm pleased and even more importantly, my wife loves it.

Thanks everyone for ideas and guidance!
ForumRunner_20140127_105435.jpg

1 - 13 of 13 Posts