Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking through cull carts at Home Depot for a small piece of ¾” plywood and came across two pieces ½” x 3’ x 4’ MDF for 51¢ each. :huh:

There were actually 3 sheets, but I only bought 2. I don’t have any plans for MDF but at that price I couldn’t pass it up. So I can think of a couple of uses for ¾ but not ½”.

What could I make out of this? I was thinking of some sort of jig, but don’t have any ideas.

·
John
3,028 Posts
I was looking through cull carts at Home Depot for a small piece of ¾” plywood and came across two pieces ½” x 3’ x 4’ MDF for 51¢ each. :huh:

There were actually 3 sheets, but I only bought 2. I don’t have any plans for MDF but at that price I couldn’t pass it up. So I can think of a couple of uses for ¾ but not ½”.

What could I make out of this? I was thinking of some sort of jig, but don’t have any ideas.
I'd make paint grade raised panels out of it, either cabinet door or wainscot. Would also work well for any number of jigs. Self centering mortise jig or a fluting jig comes to mine. So does a router circle jjig. It would be a little thin for sacrificial fences though.
Drawer fronts would also be a possibility.
Nice find:thumbsup:

Reactions: Sleeper

·
Registered
5,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'd make paint grade raised panels out of it, either cabinet door or wainscot. Would also work well for any number of jigs. Self centering mortise jig or a fluting jig comes to mine. So does a router circle jjig. It would be a little thin for sacrificial fences though.
Drawer fronts would also be a possibility.
Nice find:thumbsup:
Thanks John,
I had to look up the fluting jig because I had no idea what that was, but that’s pretty interesting. I guess I need to find some assortment of Jig photos to see if I can find something I can use. I seem to remember something a few years ago that required ½” MDF, but I can’t remember what it was now.

·
Registered
5,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So I was searching YouTube videos for jig ideas and I see something I don’t have. I don’t have a miter sled for my band saw and the ½” MDF would be a lot lighter to work with.

·
Registered
5,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I use it for templates. I also hate it whether cutting, drilling, routing or sanding. The dust is terrible.
I do know about the dust because I used some 3/4" for a TS sled.
The template is another idea. I did need a template awhile back for something so now I'm thinking maybe I should go back to HD tomorrow for the other piece if they still have it.

·
master sawdust maker
437 Posts
If you make boxes. you could use it for making dovetail key jig or spline jig.

sacrificial fence for the table saw dado stack.

If you have a bench grinder or lathe I always had the mind to make a honing wheel. stack up a few layers so its roughly 2 inches thick and wrap it in leather. then you can put on the honing compound and tone fast and simple. I have an extra lathe that I dont use. I was going to make a large drum of different widths and profiles to hone everything from plane blades to carving tools. Just have yet to find the time to do it!

Reactions: Sleeper
1 - 7 of 7 Posts