Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking into buying a lathe for the first time, but I'm not sure what size to buy. To start off, I'd like to turn small items, but would also like to have the capacity for larger. At what point is a lathe too big for small turnings? Thanks for any advise!

·
Registered
181 Posts
You can always do smaller stuff on a bigger lathe. But you can't always do bigger stuff on a smaller lathe. Basically what this means its get the biggest that your budget allows and is practical for you. I turn pens on my Nova 1624 and turn around and turn 15" bowls on the same lathe. Couldn't do that on a smaller lathe. Go big!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys!

With my limited knowledge of wood turning I was under the impression that at some point a lathe becomes too big for turning small stuff. Guess I probably shouldn't worry too much about it because more than likely I can't afford anything big enough for that to become a problem.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Not true. I turn my smallest stuff (a .023" goblet) on my biggest lathe. That being said unless your really serious about turning or have lots of money I wouldn't buy a really big lathe first.
Delta, Jet and GRizzly all have 12" swing mini lathes that have the same horse power as many of the larger lathes we used to start on.
My choice would be the new Jet 12" mini. It's really solid at close to 100 lbs. and will turn 90% of everything most people turn.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not true. I turn my smallest stuff (a .023" goblet) on my biggest lathe. That being said unless your really serious about turning or have lots of money I wouldn't buy a really big lathe first.
Delta, Jet and GRizzly all have 12" swing mini lathes that have the same horse power as many of the larger lathes we used to start on.
My choice would be the new Jet 12" mini. It's really solid at close to 100 lbs. and will turn 90% of everything most people turn.
Thanks John!

Decided to go with the Jet 1221VS. We'll see if this was a good move on my part or not, but I'm looking forward to learning and turning.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think you're probably right, duncuss. Just got it today.... it was waiting for me at the side door when I got home from work. Had some electrons flowing through it for a few minutes.... she's smooth, that's for sure. Hopefully the rest of the stuff I ordered will show in a day or two and I'll be able to have my first practice this weekend.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
I think you're probably right, duncuss. Just got it today.... it was waiting for me at the side door when I got home from work. Had some electrons flowing through it for a few minutes.... she's smooth, that's for sure. Hopefully the rest of the stuff I ordered will show in a day or two and I'll be able to have my first practice this weekend.
Did you order a faceshield?

Something like THIS ONE keeps flying chips -- and exploding blanks -- out of your eyes and face.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts