Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I am sorta new to this forum and looking at making a few storage containers. Like the pics below.

Anyone know where I can find design plans and what wood would you recommend for this project? I want to stack them on top of each other also.

Thanks in advance for you help.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Looks to me like a few pallets, some plywood, and some 1x4s should get you going in the right direction.
As far as plans....well, quite honestly, a tape measure and your pictures should be all the plan you would need. Id say find a pallet, put a plywood floor on it, build 4 walls for it however tall you need them, and sized to fit the pallet. Plywood framed by the 1x4s. Then make a lid, and screw or nail it together.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Then make a life, and screw or nail it together.
I think he was just looking for crate plans ....not great plans....:laughing:

Seriously though ......
How big are you planing on making these stackable crates?
Are they decorative or shed bound?
What's your skill level?

·
Registered
79 Posts
We make stuff like this all the time for storage and shipping of stuff at work.

The plywood is cdx, the bases are almost always 3/4" and the sides and tops are 1/2".

The pine 1x4's and 1x6's that frame out the sides and top are No.3.
The plywood is stapeled to the 1x using 1" decking staples, the heavier stuff is nailed together with a framing nailer. In the good old days like 30+ years ago a lot of this was hand nailed.
The 2x4 stock I always order No 2 because the No.3's are too junky usually.
Most of our crates we make we inset a "door" that is bolted on with carrage bolts and wing nuts because almost all our crates are reused.

Look at the picture, see how they put a 2x4 block on the bottom and added a 1x under it, this is important if you want to pick these up with a forklift or pallet jack. 2x4 bocks or runners are not quite high enough for getting the forks in and out easily especialy if you want to stack them sky high.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you guys so much.

My skill level is average but mostly working on decorative stuff for myself. Because this is structural I need all the help I can get.

Last thing I want to happen is watch these things domino with all my stuff inside.

I will post questions as I find them...Probably make a small one first.

BTW...what brand nail and staple gun do you prefer. I was going to screw it all together but that would be faster.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I don't think brand of fastener or gun is too critical.
We use made in USA Pneufast nails and we have a mix of Senco and Paslode staples. Our decking staplers and framing nailers are Paslode.
The stapler we use is a decking stapler ( 1/2" crown ) I think.

If you don't have a decking and framing gun you could hand nail the ply to the 1x.
You could use like a 3d common, drive them in at an angle and cinch them over if they come through. If you glue the ply to the 1x and let it dry before you do final assembly you wouldn't need so many nails.
Once the sides and tops and bottoms are done they get nailed together with the using 6 and 8d nails as needed.

Nail or screw the sides and top and bottom together once you make the individual parts.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
One last topic regarding this.

If the contents are heavy would you increase the 1x4's to 2x4's and 3/4" walls or would the 2x4's be fine.

Or...

am I am over thinking this.

·
Registered
79 Posts
What's "heavy", and how are you packing what's going in there?

Are you filling it full of household goods that are all packed in cardboard boxes or are you filling it full of loose pack oil pipeline valves?

Is it one heavy machine bolted to the crate base , or??

A little more info would help. Thanks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What's "heavy", and how are you packing what's going in there?

Are you filling it full of household goods that are all packed in cardboard boxes or are you filling it full of loose pack oil pipeline valves?

Is it one heavy machine bolted to the crate base , or??

A little more info would help. Thanks.
Car Engine with engine stand, File Cabinet full of documents...

That's about as heavy as I can imagine anything I own.

Thank you.

·
Registered
79 Posts
The file cabinet type stuff should be OK , just secure the drwers so they don't pop open.

The engine on a stand, I would figure out away to block it it the crate with 2x4's. The 1/2 sides would still be ok as long as the engine and stand can't tip and hit the sides. All the weight when these are stacked up is carried by the sides. As long as they are the same size when stacked all the weight will transfer down.

·
Sawdust Mill Operator
666 Posts
Check out Uline.com, they sell those and you may get some ideas or better pics.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts