Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know AMT is gone but I always thought their stuff was pretty good for the $$$. Thursday, I went to a liquidation auction at a plumbing company and picked up an AMT shaper with stand for a good price. There's no model number on it but it has a 1-1/2 HP GE motor that runs like new. There's only one cove cutter with it but Grizzly has all kinds of 1/2" bore cutters, rub collars, etc. I plan to use this for shaping solid body guitar bodies using a straight cutter and rub collar against a 3/4" MDF master pattern. I do this with a hand held router now, but the longest pattern following router bit I can get for my 1/4" router is about 1-1/2" and I need something that will do 2". I paid less for this machine than a good 2 or 3 hp router would cost me. Now to my question (finally): (1) Does anyone know where I can find a manual for this beast and (2) is it possible to install a router bit adapter to it? Thought someone might have some experience with these things. I still have to measure my pulleys and figure out what the cutter speed is. The motor is 3450RPM.
Thanks for the help!!

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
Many of the Taiwanese made machines were sold under multiple brand names....you might have some luck finding a manual from another brand that came out of the same plant.

You can also ask over at OWWM or Vintage Machinery.com where the primary focus is older machines.

·
where's my table saw?
28,556 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There is no model number that I can find - only the AMT badge and I don't believe this to be a 'kit' model. It has a cast iron table with heavy components and what appears to be a dedicated stand. The motor is 1-1/2 HP GE.

·
where's my table saw?
28,556 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts