Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To attach a swinging door hinge to a door saddle, I need to drill holes into the saddle about 1/2" from the door jamb. My electric drill body gets in the way. Does anyone know of a very narrow drill, with a narrow chuck and a body not much wider? Searched Amazon for "narrow", "thin" and "small" drills, but didn't come up with much. Looking at pictures of right-angle drills, I'm not sure they'd be any better. Have my Dad's old manual "Yankee" drill, which is narrow enough, but I'm not sure I want to work that hard. Any ideas?

·
7,222 Posts
That looks great! Do you have one? Happy with it? Those I see on Amazon have not-so-great reviews. Thanks.
I have one, I over torqued it and made it a little bent. This is why I later picked up the Milescraft in the hope this design could take more torque.

·
John
3,028 Posts
You can get bellhanger bits as long as 18-24". Try a big box. Aircraft bits get even longer, I suspect the price is in direct relationship to the length though.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Hi!
How about the Fordom flexible shaft? Best in the business, but pricey though. Borrow one maybe?
We believe Dremel makes a much less expensive flex shaft tool, that should do a similar job. Check 'em both out on searches :icon_smile:.
We'd give you links, but our PC is running very poorly as of now :furious:!
Best,
Marena and Vinny

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks to all for your replies. I just ordered one of the better-reviewed flex shafts from Amazon. If that doesn't work, I'll try a long bit. Never heard them called aircraft bits. Good to know.

·
Registered
909 Posts
If the flex shaft doesn't work for you, and the holes are 1/8" or so, I've used a right angle attachment on my Dremel to turn it into a mini-drill before. Being a Dremel it doesn't really have any torque, but it works well enough for small holes.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts