Woodworking Talk banner

21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Yay! Finally on Facebook
207 Posts
If you have the means and ability to make your own tools, you will certainly save money and I would do it as well. Sadly, while I may have the finances for it, my time just is not there for it. I barely have enough time to get in front of the lather with working full time for the man, working part time at my own small company, being a full time student working on my Masters Degree, and being present for the wife and junior--so, anything that speeds up whatever I need so I can enjoy it, I am all for.

Even though I am nuts about Easy Wood Tools, I have been finding as of late where they fall short and do plan on working on learning traditional turning tools but plan to wait on that until after I graduate early next year.

Rock on!...Turn on?

·
Yay! Finally on Facebook
207 Posts
I wasn't referring only to your post. Some people do think they are cure all tools. I think they are worth mentioning. I use my homemade square rougher to get bowls round because it is more sturdy than my 1/2 bowl gouge. After the bowl is round I prefer a bowl gouge. If you do get carbide tools I recommend you make them yourself. Mine cost me only the cost of the cutter.
I can certainly understand. Now that I have a proper lathe, I am hoping to get some decent gouges and get back to getting my technique down. Just wish I had someone nearby to look over my shoulder and give a bit of coaching help. Sadly, no one in Hemet.

21 - 22 of 22 Posts