Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I got the Carter MultiRest Work Support System and Im now able to do some taller forms my problem is how to sand the inside.I tried cutting a slit in a dowel and putting the paper in that it kinda worked.So I thought I would ask the experts.

Attachments

·
Maker of sawdust
460 Posts
Inside

Two things How big of a hole do you have in your hollow form? Doesn't look very big, looks like you used a drill bit to clear out the center, With it being so long and skinny you only need go in a short distance

Jerry

·
Registered
620 Posts
depends on what you want to do with the vessel. If it's gonna have a really small opening I usually dont worry about sanding the inside. To me it just depends on what is visible to the people looking at it. In this case if I wanted to sand the inside of that as an open form I would probably get a piece of drill rod which would stay nice and stiff and then turn a wooden ball to go on the end of the drill rod. Then wrap the ball in scratchy side of velcro using super glue to secure it. Then you can use the sandpaper they sell at home depot for orbital sanders and attach it to the velcro. Throw the drill rod in a drill and you're good to go. Someone may have a simpler method. love the form so far. what kind of chuck and what jaws are you using? n what kind of wood is it? happy turnin,
Bond

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
What he said.
If it's going to have a small hole---why does the inside need to be sanded? Reason being you'll likely have a hang and mess up the opening (been there done that), or you might injure your hand/finger/wrist trying to sand inside--that lathe generates lots of torque--and those kind of fractures (torus) aren't easy to fix! (you CAN'T reach the switch that fast)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
sanding reply

Ok so that hole was only to get me started but the drill rod sounds like a good one I will give it a try thanks.The chuck is the nova G3 not sure the jaw size shows my greenness and the wood is maple burl.It is so nice to have people to ask when I get stuck thanks to everyone who posts on here you are good people. Oh ya one more question dose anyone use a foot pedal power outlet to have quick way to shut the lathe off?

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Oh ya one more question dose anyone use a foot pedal power outlet to have quick way to shut the lathe off?
Here is the one I use on my 1624. It is mounted with two self drilling screws. This is an emergency shut off, not for normal off and on. The large paddle makes it easy to give a quick slap rather than fumbling.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/110-220V-Paddle-On-Off-Switch/H8243

The wiring from the motor is such that once power is lost (from a storm or this switch) the motor automatically resets to off. So, it must be turned back on at the emegency swithch and then at the motor (this stops an auto restart in case of a storm when power is restored).

JMHO but I want to know where it is without looking if needed and surely not in a bunch of shavings on the floor.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts