Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Although I have many sets of drills including standard twist drills, wood bits, Forstner bits, and more; I am finding that I need some brad point drills. There are many advertised on the internet, but there is no way to judge the quality. I have seen some sets for around $50 but have no idea of the quality. Some name brand sets are around $60 but again, no idea of the quality. Grizzly has a SteelEx brand set for around $30 but again I have no idea of the quality. And my local hardware stores don't have more than just a few sizes. I want a full index so I have all sizes from 1/8" to 3/8" or 1/2".

Anybody have a recommendation for a brand and source for a good quality brad point drill set.

·
Registered
26,386 Posts
I wouldn't worry so much about brand. A brad point drill is just a different way of sharpening the bit. I just make my own when ever I need one a different size. I've got a bunch of extra drill bits I can re-purpose by sharpening them into a brad point. While you are shopping for a brad point set you might get a small cheap grinder you can put a metal cut off wheel on it keep the bits sharp.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I'd recommend the set from Lee Valley. They are excellent quality and come in an index. Go cheap and you will regret it.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hummm. I would be curious what you use to resharpen them. I can sharpen what is commonly referred to as a conical point drill by hand with a bench grinder. I have made special drill points, but it is tedious with a lot of cut and try. I did a custom counter bore bit once by hand and it worked just fine in plastic. But I want some bits that will cut clean without splintering the outer veneer on plywood even when close to an edge.

I can not recall if any of the inexpensive (under $500) drill bit sharpeners can do a brad point. Frankly, to do a proper job of it, I would think it would require a professional style tool and cutter grinder that would run in the many thousand dollars range. I am not a big fan of sharpeners like Drill Doctor which use plastic parts or parts cast from pot metal. There's more accuracy in my fingertips.

Besides, I have too many backlogged projects as it is. I just want to buy a set of drills.

I wouldn't worry so much about brand. A brad point drill is just a different way of sharpening the bit. I just make my own when ever I need one a different size. I've got a bunch of extra drill bits I can re-purpose by sharpening them into a brad point. While you are shopping for a brad point set you might get a small cheap grinder you can put a metal cut off wheel on it keep the bits sharp.

·
Registered
26,386 Posts
Hummm. I would be curious what you use to resharpen them. I can sharpen what is commonly referred to as a conical point drill by hand with a bench grinder. I have made special drill points, but it is tedious with a lot of cut and try. I did a custom counter bore bit once by hand and it worked just fine in plastic. But I want some bits that will cut clean without splintering the outer veneer on plywood even when close to an edge.

I can not recall if any of the inexpensive (under $500) drill bit sharpeners can do a brad point. Frankly, to do a proper job of it, I would think it would require a professional style tool and cutter grinder that would run in the many thousand dollars range. I am not a big fan of sharpeners like Drill Doctor which use plastic parts or parts cast from pot metal. There's more accuracy in my fingertips.

Besides, I have too many backlogged projects as it is. I just want to buy a set of drills.
Well this is quite a bit cheaper than $500. On one side of the grinder is a 1/8" wheel and 1/16" wheel on the other I use for brad point bits. I usually sharpen a chain saw blade with the 1/8" wheel.

Attachments

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Tom, thanks for the Lee Valley tip. I wasn't going to go cheap. I looked at them and they seem quite good. Ordered a set.

I'd recommend the set from Lee Valley. They are excellent quality and come in an index. Go cheap and you will regret it.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quite crude. I will have to give it a try sometime.

Later, that is.

Well this is quite a bit cheaper than $500. On one side of the grinder is a 1/8" wheel and 1/16" wheel on the other I use for brad point bits. I usually sharpen a chain saw blade with the 1/8" wheel.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts