Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Local Craigslisted Craftsman table saw model 113.298762. I believe from reading posts here that this is the coveted Emerson-built model. The seller is asking $200 (no upgrades). Should I bite?

My current saw is a Craftsman with a cast aluminum table and the non-standard mitre slots.

Chuck

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
nice saw. real workhorses if not abused. $200 might be pushing it if it still has the OEM fence, which didn't enjoy a very encouraging reputation. $100 - 150 is an ok range, IMHO

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks toolguy. I'm also negotiating a price for a Delta disk/belt (6X9) sander. Offered 250 for both. We'll see.

Chuck

·
where's my table saw?
28,579 Posts
My 1960's Craftsman saw

Served me well for about 45 years and I decided it was time for it to retire. I still use the table in a different arrangement.
The weakest link is the fence which can be upgraded. I'd pay $175 on the high end in great condition.... good 1 HP motor, no rust, no sqeeks or squeals. maybe a mobile stand..?
Never pay the asking price, bargain the best you can. :yes:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I negotiated with the seller and got both the Delta disk/belt sander and the table saw for $250.

Once I got it home I couldn't figure out how the previous owner cut anything straight. The stock fence was about a quarter inch out of parallel and the blade was a good sixteenth of an inch closer to the miter slot at the back of the blade. The motor pulley was also misaligned. I spent the best part of Saturday afternoon "persuading" the rear trunion until I got it to within .003. I adjusted the fence for parallel and realized pretty quick that an upgrade is in order. I'm now researching fences. Budget suggestions are appreciated. Need to clean the top (stained, small area of rust, etc).

Realigned the motor pulley, put everything back together and cut my first piece of wood on it. Hmmmmmm....needs a new blade and likely a new belt as the old one has a "set" to it causing some vibration.

It never really ends does it??

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
I'd go with a link belt if you haven't bought one yet. The harbor freight belt is a bit cheaper than the branded one and gets good reviews.

·
No Longer Here, BY CHOICE
2,442 Posts
If you have 5/8" shafts, theres a guy that sells kits on ebay that lets you convert to a serp belt. I got two kits for my saws. Ive only installed one and its as smooth as can be. Your belt length could be different.

Link belts are another good option as mentioned. If you have aluminum pullies though, the belt will eat em up.

Check out the Delta T2 fence. My order at Tool Barn was 178.99 shipped. They say it wont be in stock till mid March but you can probably get by with your stock fence till then.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Spent some more time with my saw. I put a new Diablo combination blade on it and now it cuts great. I'm going to wait on pulleys/link belt as now that's warmer the belt that's on it is more pliable and the vibration I noticed earlier is mostly gone.

I'm shopping for a new fence and have narrowed my choices to the Delta T2 and the Vega Pro 40. The Vega supposedly bolts up to the saw with no modification. If I go with the Delta fence I know I have some mods to make.

My only real concern is, regardless which fence I choose, I MUST be able to still use the stock blade guard/splitter/anti kickback pawls. I won't compromise on my safety! Both rear rails for the fences extend well to the left of the blade. I would appreciate any insights.

·
2,442 Posts
You can either notch the rail so that the splitter will fit and tilt or just lose the rear rail all together. I plan to not use the rear rail as Im building my saws into a cabinet/surround. If I was gonna leave the saw on the stock stand, Id just notch the rail.

Another thing to consider. Do you have any reason to need to cut to the left of the blade? I dont. You could move your rails all the way over to the right. This would allow you use the rear rail without having to notch it and you gain several inches of rip capacity to the right of the blade. The downside is now you have to move or replace the tape measure on your front rail. Shouldnt be a big deal though.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Spent some more time with my saw. I put a new Diablo combination blade on it and now it cuts great. I'm going to wait on pulleys/link belt as now that's warmer the belt that's on it is more pliable and the vibration I noticed earlier is mostly gone.

I'm shopping for a new fence and have narrowed my choices to the Delta T2 and the Vega Pro 40. The Vega supposedly bolts up to the saw with no modification. If I go with the Delta fence I know I have some mods to make.

My only real concern is, regardless which fence I choose, I MUST be able to still use the stock blade guard/splitter/anti kickback pawls. I won't compromise on my safety! Both rear rails for the fences extend well to the left of the blade. I would appreciate any insights.
i have a t2 on my 113 series c-man. doesn't interfere with splitter/blade guard.

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
BassBlaster: I appreciate your ideas. I have never had any occasion to cut to the left so I'll keep your idea to move the rails in mind.

Toolguy: Thanks for the picture. Worth more than 1000 words!:laughing:

·
Registered
136 Posts
While I've never used anything else I bought a used unisaw w a vega fence and have been very happy with it for what it's worth. The micro adjustment feature has also come in handy many times.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I pulled the trigger on the Delta fence from the ToolBarn. We're now waiting patiently!!! NOT!!!

I wanted to show ya'll my acquisition after some TLC.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just an update: I've been checking my email for shipping status on the Delta fence. Nothing!!!!!! According to their web site it was supposed to ship within 3-5 days. So, I called them this morning and found out that they don't have any in stock and don't know when they will get more even though their shipment is supposed to be enroute from Delta. So I cancelled my order and scoured the net, trying to find a place that had them in stock.

I found 3 in stock at The Big Tool Store. Even if they were $30 more I want it. Ordered it and found out this afternoon that it already shipped and will be delivered Monday. YES!!

·
2,442 Posts
Just an update: I've been checking my email for shipping status on the Delta fence. Nothing!!!!!! According to their web site it was supposed to ship within 3-5 days. So, I called them this morning and found out that they don't have any in stock and don't know when they will get more even though their shipment is supposed to be enroute from Delta. So I cancelled my order and scoured the net, trying to find a place that had them in stock.

I found 3 in stock at The Big Tool Store. Even if they were $30 more I want it. Ordered it and found out this afternoon that it already shipped and will be delivered Monday. YES!!
Check out the Delta T2 fence. My order at Tool Barn was 178.99 shipped. They say it wont be in stock till mid March but you can probably get by with your stock fence till then.
Yup, Im still waiting. When I called, I complained that thier website was misleading with thier 3-5 day shipping. He said, we'll have to look into that. That was the beginning of Feb. It still says 3-5 days today. Prior to that the website said, "Ships Late Jan". I know they got a shipment late Jan so Im hoping that when they tell me it is expected to ship mid March, it actually happens!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
OK, I need a little help here. I'm kinda freaking out!!!!!!

The photos below are the rear of the saw where the motor mounts. The red arrows point to my area of concern. Should both shafts be inserted in the cast aluminum part equally? The one on the right is fully inserted but the one on the left is barely in the cast aluminum part. Is this dnagerous? Should I dismount the motor and try and fix this?

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
OK, I need a little help here. I'm kinda freaking out!!!!!!

The photos below are the rear of the saw where the motor mounts. The red arrows point to my area of concern. Should both shafts be inserted in the cast aluminum part equally? The one on the right is fully inserted but the one on the left is barely in the cast aluminum part. Is this dnagerous? Should I dismount the motor and try and fix this?

Remove the motor and determine what's causing the left pin to be so poorly secured in the motor mounting bracket. The OM shows the pins affixed to the motor mounting bracket. The pins, and motor mount, are then inserted into the two holes in the arbor bracket and secured with two bolts. Once the pins are correctly seated in the motor mounting bracket, the entire assembly may be reinstalled. I wouldn't want to contemplate what would happen if the led ft pin stopped securing the motor while in operation.

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
It looks like something's amiss with one rod. Those rods aren't intended to be adjustable....you can always try persuading it back in place, or replacing the whole mounting bracket....$15 to $20 on Ebay.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts