Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok working on a new cat furniture project, it's basically a hexagon piece that will have carpet in recessed areas within the frame. Can be placed on the floor and double as a foot stool or hung from the wall. Decided to use red oak on this project and thought I wanted a dark stain look, so I used dark walnut stain and left it on way too long...looked horrible...:furious:...so decided to re sand and stain it again, but after I re-sanded, I think I kinda like this look...really interesting, the dark stain didn't sand off of the grain area portions and now the grain really POPS, happy accident. Now I am wondering if maybe I shouldn't just poly this thing to retain this look, kind of a rustic exotic wood look. Here are a few photos of where I am at, I left one shelf with the stain to give you an idea of the stained portion compared to the sanded look Last pic shows the normal orientation of the piece, will have carpet on the top shelf and interior shelf's when completed. What do you'll think, should leave it or continue and re stain. Maybe use something other then poly...

Attachments

· Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is the first thing I have made using red oak, usually use ash or pine some times poplar the minwax polycrylic worked well on them. Ash is getting almost impossible to find locally here, so thought about red oak as an alternative hardwood. This oak is sure heavy, I am wondering about hanging this on a wall..lol... I guess I need to do a little more research before I finish this project.

· Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I like it, the grain is intense. I like working with red oak, I'm making a few furniture pieces and am having a hard time figuring out what dye to use. You may have inspired me.
:laughing:...very easy to do, just put on some dark walnut stain, leave it on for 15 minutes get pissed off when it gets all blotchy, then wait two days and sand it all back down over the weekend...and you too can have this look...:smile:....but it is a unique look, wish there was another way to get there that wasn't so labor intensive. Really wasn't that hard, just hit it with 80 grit then another pass with 120, hardest part was getting the nook and crannies with my Dremel Multi-Maxl sander at each of the joints where my random orbital couldn't reach...that was a PIA

· Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I personally have not had bad luck with poly and red oak. At least the cabinets I put them on have held up well. Like I said, this is only my e experience, limited though it might be.
View attachment 82706

The top was done with oil based wipe on poly, and the cabinet was water based poly over white stain. They've held up several years now.
how many coats did you do with that wipe on poly, because that looks pretty good. I must be doing something wrong, I just poured on a tee shirt and wiped on, should I have poured onto the wood then wipe or what... I did a couple test pieces with three coats and just didn't look very thick, you could still feel the grain. I would like to use a wipe on, no runs seems like it would go on smoother. One coat of water based polycrylic looked and felt twice as thick as that oil based wipe on test piece I did

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.