Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to make a bench for my wireless keyboard and mouse, something that i can leave around on the bedroom floor. At first I was thinking on using a housing/dado joint that didn't run to the edges of the bench top.
Here's a rough picture below of what that would of looked like.

I decided I don't really have the skills or tools to do this yet. I could use hand chisels (which i dont have :blink: a sin in the woodworking community i'm sure) or a router or a table saw (don't have those either). The bench leg would be connected right into the bottom of the benchtop and maybe secured with some glue.

So the tools I do have are a power jigsaw, power drill, and a some straight edges and speed corners.

So I thought of this idea which while less fulfilling to me it still gets the job done. What do you think of this? I will cut out a third piece that will hide the screws used to connect the legs and bench top.

There will be a seam in the wood grain but it doesn't seem like it would be too big a deal? The arrows are the directions of the screws. It seems simple enough and I could pre-drill holes with my drill to help prevent any cracking. Let's hope the holes drill perfectly straight in and not at an angle. I'm using a $10 home depot pine board that was a 2''x10''x8' so it's not a super nice piece of wood or anything. Well this seems like the best way to go with for what tools I have for now. What do you guys think or have any other ideas?

A related question would be which type of screws are less likely to splinter wood? Do i want a really small thread pitch or a wide one?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Right now it is relatively simple, just two legs and a benchtop.
Rather crude drawing, but the only difference I think it will have from the front and side views is the third piece will show the cut line.
The design difference would be that on the top one it, the legs would go about an inch into the bench top like a dado.
where as on the bottom one, it wouldn't, it would just be a regular butt joint held with screws.

·
Master firewood maker
1,973 Posts
ok .... but you need something to keep the legs perpendicular to the top and the floor. usually that would be a brace of some sort about 1/2 way down between the legs

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Hmm yeah unfortunately I wanted knee or leg room underneath so that would get in the way. The top board will be somewhere around 32" long with 9" depth and the legs looking to put around 10" high. I can't just make the legs really tall and add a brace because then the hand positioning for the mouse and keyboard would be too uncomfortable to use it. I'm not the best designer any idea how to make that work? Legs will be from the same 2x10 board

·
Master firewood maker
1,973 Posts
I see ... something like this would probably be OK ... i put 2 different flavors there ... and i think glue would be strong enough to hold it together, you probably wouldn't even need screws

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.