Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you that design custom furniture or even whatever; I give you mad props! I'm having a heck of a time deciding on this.

I have several walnut slabs. We don't have room for anything in the house so I was thinking a bench or two to sell. (I've never sold any of my projects before or designed anything like this). So with that in mind I flatten a board. Now i'm thinking of feet, and have several ideas. Then as I set myself on one, I think of a new one later. Then I think what if I add another slab as a stretcher? So I look through my pile... I find a book matched slab for the one I flattened. What now? I have ideas flying in my head. Joint/glue them together, but that's too big for a bench. Coffee table? Headboard? I can still use it as a stretcher, but I would need to use the ugly side of my first board then. I can't make any up my mind!

What would you do with a book match walnut slabs? About 6' long and 15" on one side, 9" in the middle, 12" on the other side wide. About 1.5" thick after flattening.

If jigs and tools were chairs and stools, we'd always have a place to sit.
~Stumpy Nubs

Attachments

·
Banned
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thinking I need to flatten the second board and see what I'll have to work with?

~Stumpy Nubs

·
Banned
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh I didn't think of using it as a seatback. That would work. I have 3 more slabs I can make legs from similar to yours.

I'm going to clean it up in the morning so I can see what i'm working with.

I also found this one done by a member in these forums. I'm sorry I forgot who, I found it on a quick search. It would take away from the true bookmatch, but I could probably change up the design... Oh that just gave me an idea! I'll

~Stumpy Nubs

Attachments

·
Banned
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Got it cleaned up. Still needs about 1/16 taken off. if I book match together like i'm thinking I'll have about 18" depth in the middle. The ends will have almost two feet. Not big enough for a table. Too big for a sofa table I think. Could still work as a bench? How long are coffee tables? where I want to cut I'll have about 5'8", but I could cut more off.

The chalk likes are where i'm thinking. I don't want to cut that much off, but looks like I'll need to because of the curve on the right board.

I'm almost thinking of doing two matching pieces. A bench and sofa table. The bottom of the right board is kind of pretty with the knots and edges

~Stumpy Nubs

Attachments

·
Banned
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Option two think I'll do this one? Coffee table about 4' long, cuts as shown. There won't be a lot of edge for the boards to be fastened together, but I can make brackets for the bottom. The legs will be the cutoffs on this side, the other side will be two round legs, one on either board.

~Stumpy Nubs

Attachments

·
Registered
834 Posts
Here's what I would do. Put it back in the wood stash because sooner or later a perfect project is going to come up for them. There is no sense in building something that your not sure what it'll be or where it will end up.why not just be a wood collector. I'm starting to pile up a real nice collection of quarter sawn woods and crotch walnut just for that very moment when I bite the bullet and buy a Byrd head for my planer. Them slabs look way to nice just because you want to build something. Wait it out and see what comes up.

This is all just my union so take it as it is.

·
Banned
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the input Parker. I'm going to do that, but not with these two slabs. I have three more, two a lot wider. I bought these two years ago for cheap off craigslist with the intention of building whatever I wanted. Just something fun, creative, and testing my skills. Then to see if I could sell it.

I'll tell ya i'm being tested!

Plus I really need a new table saw, but the wife keeps saying no. she doesn't know this yet, but i'm hoping to pay for this pile of walnut with this project, plus some I hope. Then go buy me a new to me used saw with my hard earned cash.

Thirdly, i'm having fun! That's like telling a priest its time to leave. The strip club is closing.

~Stumpy Nubs

·
Banned
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I am crying my eyes out. You are so lucky. For what's it's worth I would resaw the whole lot or make a bartop for a real rich guy for upwards of 10,000?
Now that would be nice! Know any rich guys? Lol. Like I said I've never sold anything before so I doubt someone would give me 10g. Maybe i'm selling myself short? But I don't have professional tools, limited on planes, etc. i'm working with what I have, that includes no resawing unless if I want a lot of waste.

Anyways I have them cut to glue together, but I have to work on the edges some. I had to cut them with my circular saw and a poor straightedge.

that's how they sit now. I'm out of state for a class so it'll be a couple months before I make more progress. Sorry I didn't get a picture of it.

~Stumpy Nubs

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.