Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I just completed my setup for my new/used aquarium. As of now it is just sitting on a 2x4 base, and I would like to start working on the skin for it. What I want to do is have one sliding door in front and removable panels on the sides so I can access the back of the tank. I will also be adding a canopy to the top but that isnt the main priority at the moment.

My question is how to go about making and attaching the sliding door. My only idea was somehow adding drawer glides to the stand or, since I want the door as flush with the base as possible, adding another piece of wood offset inside the stand a little so it can hold the glide and the door can be flush. One guy on the reef keeping forum suggested routing out a slot into the 2x4s and then putting the glides in that. The only problem is the tank is already made, the router is louder than hell, I am in a townhouse, and it would make a mess. And it might weaken the stand, I dont really know.
The other issue if I were to add drawer glides to the existing stand base, how would I hide them on the sides?

If I add a piece of wood to the top and bottom inner 2x4s, how will the doors slide open without hitting the vertical 2x4s on the sides?

As you can see I am lost and need advice. Obviously it would be easier if this tank werent setup, but couldnt decide on a stand design until now. Please see pics below of stand, and how I would like it to look.

·
Making sawdust in MS
4,000 Posts
If you add a piece of wood top and bottom to the front side with two grooves, your doors will slide past each other meaning you'd open one side at a time. It could be attached whether screwed or nailed. Just keep the grooves clear.

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
taking your horizontal layout, and making it into 3 pieces. the top and bottom light colored boards can be permanently attached with grooves on their edges, and the center panel can be slotted on it's edges and slide in form either side.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts