Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I made a small case to use for my Plane & Chisel sharpening tools. It’s a little heavy with a marble stone as my flat surface and I have a space on the underside that I would like to use as storage for sandpaper, etc.

I have a piece of ¾” plywood, but it will make it that much more heaver and raise the working surface up too high. I also have a piece of 1/8” plywood that would be perfect if I could hinge it someway. I only have a ¾” deep space which is fine for the sandpaper so I don’t know how much space I want to sacrifice for a door frame.

I guess I could glue on a 1/4" x 3/4” strip all the way around the door edge to stiffen it up, but I still don’t know how to fasten a hinge.

·
where's my table saw?
31,237 Posts
Reactions: Sleeper

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just had an idea. I think I’ll break the space up into two or possibly three spaces and use sliding panels. Or maybe even use magnets to hold the panels in place

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Working with Magnets is a lot more trickily than I thought

Ok so I decided to try the magnets at least one panel and I drilled small holes into the edge through the 1/8” Plywood so they would be perfectly aligned. I then glued magnets into the holes in the edge of the 3/4” Plywood.

What I didn’t think of was that the polarity of the magnets, so I have I have to stick the magnets together in the holes before gluing the panels. I have been using high temp hot glue to glue the magnets in the holes, but I’m not going to be able to do that for the panel magnets with them magnetically attached.

The hot glue works great, but I don’t know if it will hold the steel Magnets if I glue the wood strip across with Yellow wood glue. If the magnets pullout with the yellow glue, I don’t know if I’ll be able to align then up correctly.

It might be to my advantage if I got lucky in placing the magnets because that will mean that the panel will attach only one way.

Aligning magnets through panel

Gluing Magnets into edge with Hot Glue

Aligning Wood strip with panel

Gluing Cross Strips before edge rails

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
When I glue magnets into blind holes like that, I permanently glue one in, magnetic alignment doesn't matter. Then I set the other one in a thin epoxy or superglue, and place a piece of scotch tape over the first magnet, then align the pieces. The hole for the second magnet has to be a loose fit, so the magnet can align itself before the glue dries. The scotch tape keeps any squeeze out from sticking the panels together. Works best with the strong magnets.

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
When I glue magnets into blind holes like that, I permanently glue one in, magnetic alignment doesn't matter. Then I set the other one in a thin epoxy or superglue, and place a piece of scotch tape over the first magnet, then align the pieces. The hole for the second magnet has to be a loose fit, so the magnet can align itself before the glue dries. The scotch tape keeps any squeeze out from sticking the panels together. Works best with the strong magnets.
:huh: Oh you must not have very strong magnets because mine will literately throw the panel off if they are not aligned. I'm not sure if you understand that I'm using two magnets in each hole, one in the lid or panel and one in the case for extra strength.:smile:

Anyway I finally got the first panel done and it works well, but I've changed my procedure for the second one. I first tried a washer on one side and a magnet on the other, but my steel washers don't have a lot of iron in them and just doesn't hold well enough,

On the second panel, I drilled the holes in the plywood and then used it as a guide to drill the holes in the case. I then glued all the wood strips to the panel and when it dries I'm going to scrape and clean out any glue from inside the holes.

Once that's done, I'll permanently glue one magnet in the panel and then let the other magnet find its own place. So with the magnets in place, I'll fill the holes in the case with glue and align the panel with the magnets in place and push into the holes. that way all the polarity's are correct for the strongest posible hold.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
:huh: Oh you must not have very strong magnets because mine will literately throw the panel off if they are not aligned. I'm not sure if you understand that I'm using two magnets in each hole, one in the lid or panel and one in the case for extra strength.:smile:

Anyway I finally got the first panel done and it works well, but I've changed my procedure for the second one. I first tried a washer on one side and a magnet on the other, but my steel washers don't have a lot of iron in them and just doesn't hold well enough,

On the second panel, I drilled the holes in the plywood and then used it as a guide to drill the holes in the case. I then glued all the wood strips to the panel and when it dries I'm going to scrape and clean out any glue from inside the holes.

Once that's done, I'll permanently glue one magnet in the panel and then let the other magnet find its own place. So with the magnets in place, I'll fill the holes in the case with glue and align the panel with the magnets in place and push into the holes. that way all the polarity's are correct for the strongest posible hold.
You missed the point - the holes (blind) must be aligned before the magnets are installed. (Perhaps I should make clear - I'm talking about ROUND magnets). Installing the second one in wet glue only allows it to rotate in the hole for alignment. And yes, they are strong - the 1/8 thick by 1/2" rare earth magnets WILL pinch hard if you attempt to stick them together with skin between them! :laughing:

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I guess my holes are too tight because they will not turn in the holes and it’s hard to get them out even without glue.

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well it looks like I need more than just Magnets because as soon as I tipped it on it's side, the bottom edge hit the bench and popped the door off. I may have to add something on the bottom to protect it or I may start completely over using the slide in doors.:icon_sad:

I still have 3 more Magnets to glue in, but they’re hiding. Last night they were missing for 3 hours until I gave up and started working on something else. Then I found them stuck to my cordless drill. :huh: I don’t know where they’re at now and I had a lot tools and spring clamps on the bench when they disappeared. :wacko:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.